This comprehensive text uses a real world focus to cover all of criminal procedure, from first contact to appeal.
Criminal Procedure: From First Contact to Appeal, 5e is a comprehensive introduction to criminal procedure, from first contact with the police, all the way through to appeal. The text is divided into five parts: (1) Introduction; (2) Search and Seizure; (3) Interrogations, Confessions, and Identification Procedures; (4) The Beginnings of Formal Proceedings; and (5) Trial, Conviction, and Beyond. The latter two topics are rarely covered in conventional criminal procedure books, particularly at the level of detail found in this text. This book presupposes no legal expertise, connects criminal procedure cases to the real world through innovative pedagogy, and encourages students through numerous decision making exercises to be critical thinkers by putting them in the position of judge.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This book presents a comprehensive introduction to criminal procedure, thoroughly presenting basic legal concepts and issues in a conversational written style and tone. It provides:
- Real World Focus: The text contains actual legal documents and excerpts from official policy manuals of police departments and other criminal justice agencies around the United States
- Clear, up-to-date coverage: Sequentially organized text is laden with the latest court cases and practical examples and illustrations
- Outstanding Pedagogical Features: Provides students with tools to master key concepts and content
Table of Contents
PART 1 Introduction
Chapter 1 Introduction to Criminal Procedure
Chapter 2 Remedies
PART 2 Search and Seizure
Chapter 3 Introduction to Search and Seizure
Chapter 4 Searches and Arrests with Warrants
Chapter 5 Searches and Arrests without Warrants
Chapter 6 Actions Based on Reasonable Suspicion
Chapter 7 Actions Based on Administrative Justification and Consent
PART 3 Interrogations, Confessions and Identification Procedures
Chapter 8 Interrogations and Confessions
Chapter 9 Identification Procedures and the Roles of Witnesses
Part 4 The Beginnings of Formal Proceedings
Chapter 10 The Pretrial Process
Chapter 11 Prosecutors, Grand Juries and Defense Attorneys
Chapter 12 Plea Bargaining and Guilty Pleas
Part 5 Trial, Conviction, and Beyond
Chapter 13 Rights at Trial
Chapter 14 More Rights at Trial
Chapter 15 Sentencing, Appeals, and Habeas Corpus
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$89.10 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-380304-4
$66.83 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-349537-9
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$79.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-349514-0
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$133.33 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-387814-1