The eleventh edition of Criminology is a lively introduction to the study of crime. As opposed to the “crime-of-the-week” approach common to many other texts, Conklin introduces students to critical issues in the field, such as the way people learn to commit crime, the development of criminal careers, and the organization of criminal behavior. The text is illustrated with copious boxed selections, easy-to-interpret tables and graphs, and dozens of compelling boxed features. While thoroughly researched and authoritative, the text is accessible to students and well-suited for one-semester courses.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 The Study of Crime
Chapter 2 Measuring Crime
Chapter 3 Crime and Its Costs
Chapter 4 Dimensions of Crime
Chapter 5 Biological and Psychological Explanations of Crime
Chapter 6 Social, Cultural, and Economic Sources of Crime
Chapter 7 Social Control and Commitment to the Law
Chapter 8 Learning to Commit Crime
Chapter 9 Opportunities and Facilitating Factors
Chapter 10 Criminal Careers
Chapter 11 The Organization of Criminal Behavior
Chapter 12 Community Reactions to Crime
Chapter 13 The Criminal Justice System
Chapter 14 Deterrence, Incapacitation, Retribution, and Rehabilitation
Chapter 15 Reducing Crime
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users