Taking a sociological perspective, CRIMINOLOGY: A SOCIOLOGICAL UNDERSTANDING, 5/e offers award-winning coverage of criminology and highlights issues of race, ethnicity, gender and social class throughout. Designed in a four-color format, this edition includes a new chapter on classical and neoclassical theories, over 160 recent references and unique chapters on political crime and public opinion, crime and the media. Moving beyond simple “get tough” approaches, the book emphasizes the need to understand social causes of criminal behavior in order to significantly reduce it.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: UNDERSTANDING CRIME AND VICTIMIZATION
1. Criminology and the Sociological Perspective
2. Public Opinion, the New Media, and the Crime Problem
3. The Measurement and Patterning of Criminal Behavior
4. Victims and Victimization
PART TWO: EXPLAINING CRIME
5. Classical and Neoclassical Perspectives
6. Biological and Psychological Explanations
7. Sociological Theories: Emphasis on Social Structure
8. Sociological Theories: Emphasis on Social Process
9. Sociological Theories: Critical Perspectives
PART THREE: CRIMINAL BEHAVIORS
10. Violent Crime: Homicide, Assault, and Robbery
11. Violence Against Women
12. Property and Crime Fraud
13. White-Collar and Organized Crime
14. Political Crime
15. Consensual Crime
PART FOUR: CONTROLLING AND PREVENTING CRIME
16. Policing; Dilemmas of Crime Control in a Democratic Society
17. Prosecution and Punishment
18. Conclusion: How Can We Reduce Crime?
This item has been upgraded to Criminology: A Sociological Understanding, 6th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$89.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-313985-3