Taking a sociological perspective, CRIMINOLOGY: A SOCIOLOGICAL UNDERSTANDING, 5/e offers award-winning coverage of criminology and highlights issues of race, ethnicity, gender and social class throughout. Designed in a four-color format, this edition includes a new chapter on classical and neoclassical theories, over 160 recent references and unique chapters on political crime and public opinion, crime and the media. Moving beyond simple “get tough” approaches, the book emphasizes the need to understand social causes of criminal behavior in order to significantly reduce it.
Table of Contents
PART ONE: UNDERSTANDING CRIME AND VICTIMIZATION
1. Criminology and the Sociological Perspective
2. Public Opinion, the New Media, and the Crime Problem
3. The Measurement and Patterning of Criminal Behavior
4. Victims and Victimization
PART TWO: EXPLAINING CRIME
5. Classical and Neoclassical Perspectives
6. Biological and Psychological Explanations
7. Sociological Theories: Emphasis on Social Structure
8. Sociological Theories: Emphasis on Social Process
9. Sociological Theories: Critical Perspectives
PART THREE: CRIMINAL BEHAVIORS
10. Violent Crime: Homicide, Assault, and Robbery
11. Violence Against Women
12. Property and Crime Fraud
13. White-Collar and Organized Crime
14. Political Crime
15. Consensual Crime
PART FOUR: CONTROLLING AND PREVENTING CRIME
16. Policing; Dilemmas of Crime Control in a Democratic Society
17. Prosecution and Punishment
18. Conclusion: How Can We Reduce Crime?
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$25.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-273945-0
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$71.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-510980-9
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$116.40 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-270558-5