Taking a sociological perspective, this book offers award-winning coverage of criminology and highlights issues of race, ethnicity, gender and social class throughout.
Criminology: A Sociological Understanding, 6e, provides a sociological perspective on crime and criminal justice by treating social structure and social inequality as central themes in the study of crime—and major factors in society's treatment of criminals. It gives explicit attention to key sociological concepts such as poverty, gender, race, and ethnicity, and demonstrates their influence on crime. Moving beyond simple “get tough” approaches, the book emphasizes the need to understand social causes of criminal behavior in order to significantly reduce it. This sixth edition continues to include certain chapters that remain uncommon in other criminology texts, including Chapter 2: Public Opinion, the News Media, and the Crime Problem; Chapter 11: Violence Against Women; Chapter 14: Political Crime; and Chapter 18: Conclusion: How Can We Reduce Crime? In addition, the book’s criminal justice chapters, Chapter 16 (Policing: Dilemmas of Crime Control in a Democratic Society) and Chapter 17 (Prosecution and Punishment), continue to address two central themes in the sociological understanding of crime and criminal justice: (1) the degree to which race and ethnicity, gender, and social class affect the operation of the criminal justice system; and (2) the extent to which reliance on the criminal justice system can reduce the amount of crime. Throughout the text, key concepts are supported with a comprehensive package of pedagogical material and teaching/learning aids.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This book offers a unique sociological introduction to the field of criminology. It provides:
- A unique sociological perspective: Emphasizes the need to understand social causes of criminal behavior in order to significantly reduce it
- Award-winning coverage: Features topics not covered in other introductory criminology texts
- Strong pedagogical features: Gives students the tools to master key concepts faster and more effectively while making class preparation quick and easy for instructors
Table of Contents
PART 1 UNDERSTANDING CRIME AND VICTIMIZATION
CHAPTER 1 Criminology and the Sociological Perspective
CHAPTER 2 Public Opinion, the News Media, and the Crime Problem
CHAPTER 3 The Measurement and Patterning of Criminal Behavior
CHAPTER 4 Victims and Victimization
PART 2 EXPLAINING CRIME
CHAPTER 5 Classical and Neoclassical Perspectives
CHAPTER 6 Biological and Psychological Explanations
CHAPTER 7 Sociological Theories: Emphasis on Social Structure
CHAPTER 8 Sociological Theories: Emphasis on Social Process
CHAPTER 9 Sociological Theories: Critical Perspectives
PART 3 CRIMINAL BEHAVIORS
CHAPTER 10 Violent Crime: Homicide, Assault, and Robbery
CHAPTER 11 Violence Against Women
CHAPTER 12 Property Crime and Fraud
CHAPTER 13 White-Collar and Organized Crime
CHAPTER 14 Political Crime
PART 4 CONTROLLING AND PREVENTING CRIME
CHAPTER 15 Consensual Crime
CHAPTER 16 Policing: Dilemmas of Crime Control in a Democratic Society
CHAPTER 17 Prosecution and Punishment
CHAPTER 18 Conclusion: How Can We Reduce Crime?
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$73.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-345901-2