An up-to-date edition of a bestseller, The Crosscultural, Language, and Academic Development Handbook, 5/e guides educators in promoting academic success for the culturally and linguistically diverse learners in today’s classrooms. Designed specifically for mainstream classroom teachers, the book shows clearly how second-language acquisition affects learning, and presents an excellent treatment of cultural diversity and learning styles. Included is coverage of new applications for mobile learning; the Common Core Standards; Response to Intervention; English learners with autism; educating undocumented immigrants; involving family and the community to increase academic success; adapting for English learners with special needs; and more.
Table of Contents
PART ONE Learning: Learning about the Learner, Language Structure, and Second-Language Acquisition
CHAPTER 1 Learning about the Language Learner
CHAPTER 2 Learning about Language Structure
CHAPTER 3 Learning about Second-Language Acquisition
PART TWO Instruction: Oracy and Literacy for English-Language Development, Content-Area Instruction, and Bilingual Education
CHAPTER 4 Oracy and Literacy for English-Language Development
CHAPTER 5 Content-Area Instruction
CHAPTER 6 Theories and Methods of Bilingual Education
PART THREE Assessment
CHAPTER 7 Language and Content-Area Assessment
PART FOUR Culture: Cultural Diversity in the United States, the Intercultural Educator, and Culturally Responsive Schooling
CHAPTER 8 Cultural Diversity
CHAPTER 9 Culturally Responsible Schooling
CHAPTER 10 The Role of the Family in Schools
PART FIVE Policy: Language Policy and Special Populations of English Learners
CHAPTER 11 The Role of Educators in Language Policy
CHAPTER 12 Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners and Special Education
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$52.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-336408-8