A fundamental source of information in agricultural education, this text is extremely student-friendly and organized into specific, short topics within broad general sections. Its coverage encompasses the skills needed to be competitive in today’s industry, and emphasizes the need for possessing a healthy balance between understanding the scientific principles of dairy science and the practical art of implementing those principles.
Table of Contents
I. THE DAIRY INDUSTRY.
1. History of Dairying.
2. Breeds of Dairy Cattle.
3. Dairy Industry Overview.
4. Dairy Product Processing.
5. Milk Marketing and Pricing.
6. Employee Management.
II. CONCEPTS IN GENETIC IMPROVEMENT.
7. Dairy Records and Programs.
8. Fundamentals of Dairy Genetics.
9. Selecting Herd Sires.
10. Herd Strategies for Genetic Improvement.
III. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY NUTRITION.
11. The Ruminant Digestive System.
12. Fundamentals of Dairy Nutrition.
13. Protein and Energy Requirements.
14. Requirements for Minerals, Vitamins, and Water.
15. Ration Formulation Strategies and Feeding Systems.
IV. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY FEEDS.
16. Fundamentals of Hay Quality.
17. Haymaking Systems and Marketing Hay.
18. Grazing Systems and Pasture Management.
19. Ensiled Feeds.
20. Silage Quality.
21. Silage Storage Systems.
22. Feed Sources for Concentrates.
23. Industry By-Products and Feed Additives.
V. CONCEPTS IN REPRODUCTIVE PHYSIOLOGY.
24. Fundamentals of Female Reproduction.
25. Reproductive Physiology and Management of the Bull.
26. Heat Detection and Estrus Synchronization.
27. Assisted Reproductive Technologies.
28. Pregnancy and Parturition.
VI. CONCEPTS IN LACTATION PHYSIOLOGY.
29. Anatomy and Physiology of the Mammary Gland.
31. Milk Letdown Reflex.
32. Milking Procedures and Process.
33. Milk Quality.
VII. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY HEALTH AND DISEASE.
34. Fundamentals of Biosecurity.
35. Major Infectious Diseases.
36. Infections of the Mammary Gland.
37. Health and Care of the Hoof.
38. External Parasites.
VIII. CONCEPTS IN DAIRY COW COMFORT.
39. Fundamentals of Dairy Cattle Welfare and Behavior.
40. Housing Issues for Dairy Cattle.
41. Assessing Cow Comfort.
42. Manure Management Practices.
XI. INTEGRATING DISCIPLINES: DAIRY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS.
43. Managing Pre-Weaned Calves.
44. Managing Replacement Heifers.
45. Managing Dry and Transition Cows.
46. Managing Metabolic Disorders.
47. Managing Lactating Cows.
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Dairy Cattle Science, CourseSmart eTextbook, 4th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$65.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-171827-2