To succeed in manufacturing and service operations, managers need both technical and behavioral skills, and know how to apply these skills to transform processes and outputs in a wide variety of operational contexts throughout the supply chain. Now, there’s an authoritative and comprehensive guide to best-practice manufacturing and service operations in any organization. Co-authored by a leading expert alongside the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals (CSCMP), this reference details the planning, organizing, controlling, directing, motivating and coordinating functions used to produce goods or services. It covers long-term strategic decisions such as facility location; mid-term tactical decisions such as setting levels of inventory and labor; and short-term operational decisions such as job assignments. Coverage includes:
- Basic manufacturing and service operations concepts, purposes, terminology, roles, and goals; types of manufacturing and services; planning processes; inventory and labor requirements; process control; productivity levels, and budget control
- Key elements, processes, and interactions, including facility, material, and labor requirements planning; scheduling; and continuous process and quality improvement processes, including TQM, ISO, Six Sigma, SPC, Theory of Constraints, FMEA, and 5S
- Principles/strategies for establishing efficient, effective, and sustainable operations: Manufacturing and services planning and strategies, encompassing facility ownership and location, production, processes, layout, lead capacity, technology, personnel, measurement, compensation, sustainability, and more
- The key roles and value of technology, including MRP II systems, service systems, ERP systems, and capabilities for supporting manufacturing and service planning, execution, and cost management.
- Requirements and challenges of global manufacturing and service operations, including manufacturing and outsourcing in Low-Cost Countries (LCCs); logistical difficulties, labor challenges, financial implications, decision processes, contract performance, risk management, and regulation
- Best practices for assessing performance using standard metrics and frameworks, including KPIs, tradeoff analysis, scorecarding, dashboards, and exception management
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Operations Management Defined 1
Chapter 2: Key Elements and Processes 29
Chapter 3: Understanding Operations Strategies 57
Chapter 4: Role of Technology in Managing Operations 83
Chapter 5: Understanding the Role of Global Operations in the Modern Marketplace 109
Chapter 6: Metrics and Frameworks for Assessing Performance 135
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Definitive Guide to Manufacturing and Service Operations, The: Master the Strategies and Tactics for Planning, Organizing, and Managing How Products and Services Are Produced, CourseSmart eTextbook
Format: Safari Book
$41.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-345390-4