The world needs beautiful design. But aesthetics are inherently subjective. In Design Currency, authors Jenn and Ken Visocky O’Grady show you how to frame the value of your design work in terms that your business partners will both understand and respect. An actionable resource, Design Currency empowers you to do your job with less pushback on aesthetic decisions, encourages earlier involvement in the creation process, and makes it easier for you to justify your fees.
For a designer, understanding how your work creates value is essential to growing your business and building better, more profitable relationships. Those relationships are easier to initiate, establish, and retain when you can clearly explain how your capabilities meet your client’s needs. This book shows you how to do exactly that.
In Design Currency, you will learn how to:
- Leverage traditional design skills in new ways
- Measure the value that your design work brings to a project
- Articulate that value so that you can position yourself as a partner in the development process
- Charge what you’re worth and prevent your job from getting crowd-sourced or out-sourced
- Generate business value by better identifying audience needs
Table of Contents
Design Is Having Its Moment
The Sky, Not Falling
• Data Visualization and Information Design
• User Experience Design (UXD)
• Design Thinking
• Design Research
• Design Entrepreneurship
CH2: Understand Your Skills
Your Preferred Qualifications
• Design, Thinking + Making
• Project Management
• Life-long Learning
• Comfort with Risk
• Accepting Criticism
• Comprehensive Communication
• Organization and Systems Thinking
Visualizing Your Abilities
What’s Your Letter Profile?
CH3: Understand Your Services
Design is a Value Generator
Hard and Soft Value
Defining Value by the Project
Hierarchies of Value
• Hierarchy of User Needs
• The Design Staircase
CH4: Define Metrics
Metrics, Metrics, Metrics!
• Return on Investment
• Cost / Benefit Analysis
• Money Isn’t Everything
–Goals, Outputs, and Outcomes
Making The Case: Numbers in Context
• Balanced Scorecard and the Four Powers of Design
CH5: Define Business Impact
Demonstrating Impact: How Does the Design Industry Measure Up?
Proving Design’s Value, A Series of Studies
• Design Value Factfinder
• Design Effectiveness Industry Report
• The Economic Effects of Design
CH6: Define Your Audience
Getting to Know You
• Human Centered Design
• Universal Design
Craft A Research Plan
• Logic Models
Make Sense of Research
- Users: Think/Do/Use
- The 5E User Experience
CH7: Promote The Value of Design
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$27.99Add to Cart