For undergraduate courses in Chemistry, Biology, Sociology, Criminal Justice and Health and Drug Education.
In this reliable reference, Liska addresses the effects of high-use, high-abuse drugs in America in a timely and straightforward fashion. Up-to-date research is reflected throughout, including coverage of street, over-the-counter, and prescriptive drugs. The Eighth Edition explores changing trends in personalized drug therapy and highlights the World Wide Web as a primary source of drug information. The presentation is accessible to the non-science major, yet comprehensive enough for the practicing professional.
Table of Contents
NOTE: Each chapter ends with Web Sites and Study Questions.
1. The Magic Bullets.
2. Where Drugs Come From.
3. Federal Laws: The FDA and Drug Testing–Penalties for Illicit Use.
4. What Happens to Drugs After We Take Them.
5. Drugs at the Synapse.
6. Narcotic Analgesics: Opiates and Opioids.
7. Cocaine, Amphetamines, Caffeine, Nicotine, and Other Stimulants.
8. The Barbiturates: Battered But Still Here.
9. Alcohol and 100 Million Americans.
10. The Major and Minor Tranquilizers.
12. Hallucinogens, Street Drugs, Designer Drugs, Club Drugs, Predatory Drugs, and Some Observations.
13. The Pill: An Update.
14. Non-Steroidal, Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Naproxen Sodium, Ketoprofen, Fenoprofen, and Celebrex and Vioxx.
15. Additional OTC Drugs and Chemicals.
16. Personal Drug Testing.
17. Drugs in Sports.
Appendix I: Structure-Activity Relationships (SARs).
Appendix II: Answers and Discussion: Understanding Alcoholism.
Appendix III: DAWN Data Summary.
Appendix IV: The Scientific Method.
Appendix V: Glossary.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Drugs and the Human Body, CourseSmart eTextbook, 8th Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$42.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-78670-8