Dynamic Physical Education for Secondary School Students, Seventh Edition provides secondary school physical education pre-service teachers everything they need to create an exciting and thoughtful PE program for their students. Using accessible, everyday language, authors Paul Darst, Robert Pangrazi, Mary Jo Sariscsany, and Timothy Brusseau cover foundational teaching elements as well as current issues in physical education. A focus on important issues facing today’s PE teachers includes topics such as the effects of overweight on youth, sensitively addressing different ability ranges, and teaching culturally diverse students. Updated research, recommended readings, and a variety of study tools throughout the text make this book a comprehensive resource for teachers of physical education. The text, when tied to the accompanying Lesson Plans book, becomes a comprehensive curriculum guide for pre-service and in-service teachers for grades 7-12. Enhancing the curriculum and instruction in secondary physical education, the text includes a wealth of both practical and theoretical resources and many motivating ideas, strategies, and activities.
With the addition of two new coauthors, Tim Brusseau and Mary Jo Sariscany, the four member author team brings both highly experienced and fresh perspectives to the revision. Included in this edition are new Teaching Tips and Safety Hint features, and content on the expanding role of PE teachers outside the gym.
Table of Contents
Section 1: Justifying a Physical Education Program
1. Physical Education in the Secondary School
2. The Impact of Physical Activity on Adolescents
Section 2: Designing a Physical Education Program
3. Steps in Developing a Curriculum
4. Curriculum Approaches
Section 3: Teaching a Physical Education Program
5. Planning for Effective Instruction
6. Improving Instructional Effectiveness
7. Management and Discipline
8. Teaching Styles
9. Improving Instruction Systematically
10. Assessment, Evaluation, and Grading
Section 4: Developing a Total Program
11. Students with Disabilities
12. Safety and Liability
13. Activity Outside of the Physical Education Classroom: Intramurals, Sport Clubs, School Programs, and Athletics
Section 5: Implementing Instructional Activities
14. Introductory Activities
15. Promoting and Monitoring Lifestyle Physical Activity
16. Physical Fitness
17. Healthy Lifestyles: Activities for Instruction
18. Promoting Motivation, Cooperation and Inclusion: Nontraditional Ideas for Instruction
20. Lifestyle Activities
21. Outdoor Adventure Activities
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Dynamic Physical Education for Secondary School Students, CourseSmart eTextbook, 7th Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$63.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75015-0