The ninth edition of Dynamic Social Studies for the Constructivist Classroom continues its tradition of offering teachers creative ways to make their social studies lessons fun. This comprehensive, practical text helps teachers breathe life into their social studies programs. The author engages the reader and walks them through the establishment of a dynamic social studies classroom with its solid constructivist framework, active instructional strategies, powerful literacy-based techniques, and exemplary classroom scenarios.
Constructivism is the most advocated approach for social studies instruction, and the most meaningful methodology for engaging students in their own learning. Building on the fundamental principals of constructivism, this text provides the most comprehensive presentation of constructivist classroom applications in the field.
The most practical of all social studies methods texts, this edition highlights fresh and creative strategies that build key social studies understandings, skills, and values. The text is highly readable, offering a balance of sound theory and examples of stimulating classroom practice. Readers will feel they are taking a virtual trip through model social studies classrooms and will come away with a clear vision of the most effective and creative way to teach social studies and to motivate elementary students to become social scientists.
NEW! Chapter 3 on Integrated Instruction–This brand new chapter helps teachers fulfill goals and standards for social studies instruction by incorporating content and skills from other subject areas.
Table of Contents
1. Dynamic Social Studies: The Subject You Will Teach
2. Diversity in the Classroom: The Children You Will Teach
3. Integrated Learning: Connecting Learning to the Real World
Part II: Classrooms for Young Social Scientists
4. Young Historians: Learning to Unlock the Past
5. Young Geographers: Exploring the People/Place Connection
6. Young Political Scientists: Citizens in Action
Part III: Contructivist Approaches to Classroom Instruction
7. The Learning Cycle: Teacher Scaffolded Social Constructivism
8. Collaborative and Cooperative Learning: Student-Assisted Social Constructivism
9. Inquiry and Problem-Solving: Cognitive Constructivism in Action
Part IV: Key Organizational Decisions
10. Managing Instruction: Planning Lessons and Units
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$50.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-500314-5