Early Childhood Development: A Multicultural Perspective, Sixth Edition addresses both typical and atypical child development from birth through age eight. This text highlights the diversity of child development, preparing professionals to meet the unique needs of children from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- A new emphasis on neuroscience and brain research helps us to understand so much better how children think, learn, feel, and behave.
- Every chapter includes at least one new section on how the brain contributes to advances in physical, cognitive, linguistic, social, or emotional development across age groups.
- An extensive section on assessment has been added.
- Clinical and classroom-based methods for assessing learning and development of young children are presented.
- The use of assessment data in teaching and parenting are fully explored.
- A more extensive examination of toddlerhood, as a distinct period of development, is included. Newly-discovered advancements of children between the ages of 18 months and 3 years are profiled.
- The book contains discussions of more than 800 new research studies and articles on early childhood development that have been published since the last edition.
Table of Contents
1 Studying Early Childhood Development in a Diverse World
2 Research and Assessment in Early Childhood Development
3 Theories of Child Development
4 Genetics, Prenatal Development, and Birth
5 The Newborn
6 Physical Growth of Infants and Toddlers
7 Cognitive Development of Infant and Toddlers
8 Infant and Toddler Language and Literacy
9 Infant and Toddler Social and Emotional Development
10 Preschool Physical and Motor Development
11 Cognitive Development in the Preschool Years
12 Symbolic Thought: Play, Language, and Literacy in the Preschool Years
13 Social and Emotional Development of Preschoolers
14 Physical Growth and Motor Development in the Primary Years
15 Cognitive Development in the Primary Years
16 Language and Literacy in the Primary Years
17 Social and Emotional Development in the Primary Years
18 Parents, Families, and Children: A Multicultural Perspective
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
$118.60 | Free Ground Shipping.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$46.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-286935-5
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$77.20 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-338924-1