This accessible text offers a comprehensive history of China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam, including coverage of everyday life, women and gender-related issues, and the environment–topics often neglected in other texts.
Throughout his distinguished career, author Rhoads Murphey has inspired within students an appreciation for the rich and unique history of Asia. The Fifth Edition of this text on East Asia is certain to bring this fascinating region to life for many of today’s students.
Table of Contents
Note on the Spelling of Asian Names and Words
About the Author
1. East Asia: Common Ground and Regional Differences
2. Prehistory, Beginnings in China, and the Shang Dynasty
3. The Zhou: Its Decline and the Age of the Philosophers
4. Qin and Han: The Making of Empire
5. Buddhism and the Cosmopolitan Tang Dynasty
6. Achievement and Disaster: The Song and Yuan Dynasties, 960—1368
7. New Imperial Splendor in China: The Ming Dynasty
8. The Qing in Prosperity and Decline
9. Early Korea
10. Premodern Vietnam
11. Beginnings in Japan: Patterns and Origins
12. Warriors, Monks, and Conflict: Medieval Japan
13. The West Arrives in Asia
14. Tokugawa Japan
15. China’s Nineteenth-Century Crises
16. Japan Remakes Itself
17. Imperialism in Korea and Vietnam
18. China, 1901—1925: End of Empire and Search for a New Order
19. China and Japan: The Road to War
20. The Second World War in Asia
21. China since 1945
22. Japan since 1945
23. Korea and Vietnam since 1945
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
East Asia: A New History, CourseSmart eTextbook, 5th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$49.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-69535-5