For courses on economic development
A complete, balanced introduction to the theory, issues, and latest research.
Economic Development,Twelfth Edition—the leading textbook in this field—provides students with a complete and balanced introduction to the requisite theory, driving policy issues, and latest research. Todaro and Smith take a policy-oriented approach, presenting economic theory in the context of critical policy debates and country-specific case studies so you can see how theory relates to the problems and prospects of developing countries.
Teaching and Learning Experiences
This program presents a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students.
- Use the text’s Hallmark Approach to presenting engaging information: Shaped by the authors’ personalities, this approach is backed up with extensive research and travel to provide the best data possible.
- Teach with strong pedagogy tools: The text reinforces central key concepts by presenting a clear learning path for students.
- Give students a real-world global perspective: Students are able togain a unique perspective about world issues from two authors who strive to address different sides to problems.
Table of Contents
1. Introducing Economic Development: A Global Perspective
2. Comparative Economic Development
3. Classic Theories of Economic Growth and Development
4. Contemporary Models of Development and Underdevelopment
II. Problems and Policies: Domestic
5. Poverty, Inequality, and Development
6. Population Growth and Economic Development: Causes, Consequences, and Controversies
7. Urbanization and Rural-Urban Migration: Theory and Policy
8. Human Capital: Education and Health in Economic Development
9. Agricultural Transformation and Rural Development
10. The Environment and Development
11. Development Policymaking and the Roles of Market, State, and Civil Society
III. Problems and Policies: International and Macro
12. International Trade Theory and Development Strategy
13. Balance of Payments, Debt, Financial Crises, and Stabilization Policies
14. Foreign Finance, Investment, Aid, and Conflict: Controversies and Opportunities
15. Finance and Fiscal Policy for Development
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$87.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-342360-0