Hubbard/O'Brien explains the basics of economics by demonstrating how real businesses use economics to make real decisions everyday. This is something all readers can connect to, as they encounter businesses in their daily lives. And regardless of future career path—opening an art studio, doing social work, trading on Wall Street, working for the government, or bartending at the local pub—readers will benefit from understanding the economic forces behind their work.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Economics: Foundations and Models
Chapter 2: Trade-offs, Comparative Advantage, and the Market System
Chapter 3: Where Prices Come From: The Interaction of Demand and Supply
Chapter 4: Economic Efficiency, Government Price Setting, and Taxes
Part 2: Markets in Action
Chapter 5: Externalities, Environmental Policy, and Public Goods
Chapter 6: Elasticity: The Responsiveness of Demand and Supply
Part 3: Firms in the Domestic and International Economies
Chapter 7: The Economics of Health Care
Chapter 8: Firms, the Stock Market, and Corporate Governance
Part 4: Microeconomic Foundations: Consumers and Firms
Chapter 9: Comparative Advantage and the Gains from International Trade
Chapter 10: Consumer Choice and Behavioral Economics
Part 5: Market Structure and Firm Strategy
Chapter 11: Technology, Production, and Costs
Chapter 12: Firms in Perfectly Competitive Markets
Chapter 13: Monopolistic Competition: The Competitive Model in a More Realistic Setting
Chapter 14: Oligopoly: Firms in Less Competitive Markets
Chapter 15: Monopoly and Antitrust Policy
Part 6: Markets for Factors of Production
Chapter 16: Pricing Strategy
Part 7: Information, Taxes, and the Distribution of Income
Chapter 17: The Markets for Labor and Other Factors of Production
Chapter 18: Public Choice, Taxes, and the Distribution of Income
Part 8: Macroeconomic Foundations and Long-Run Growth
Chapter 19: GDP: Measuring Total Production and Income
Chapter 20: Unemployment and Inflation
Chapter 21: Economic Growth, the Financial System, and Business Cycles
Chapter 22: Long-Run Economic Growth: Sources and Policies
Part 9: Short-Run Fluctuations
Chapter 23: Aggregate Expenditure and Output in the Short Run
Chapter 24: Aggregate Demand and Aggregate Supply Analysis
Part 10: Monetary and Fiscal Policy
Chapter 25: Money, Banks, and the Federal Reserve System
Chapter 26: Monetary Policy
Chapter 27: Fiscal Policy
Chapter 28: Inflation, Unemployment, and Federal Reserve Policy
Part 11: The International Economy
Chapter 29: Macroeconomics in an Open Economy
Chapter 30: The International Financial System
Format: Alternate Binding
This item has been upgraded to Economics, 5th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$139.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-293789-4
$79.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-283381-3
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users