Demonstrates How Current Research Informs Effective Practices
- Each chapter includes What Works, which presents research-based practices in action, including descriptions of demonstrated effective practices such as dialogic reading and engaging children in planning.
- Expert’s Lens features focus on culture, linguistic diversity, and children with disabilities and special needs. Preeminent professionals in the field–Carol Copple, Carol Brunson Day, Gail Joseph, and Luis Hernandez–present their perspectives on key topics.
- The terms and definitions used in this text contribute to establishing a shared vocabulary for all of those in and entering the field.
Describes What Effective Teachers Do to Enhance Children’s Learning and Development
- This text emphasizes the notion that effective teachers are purposeful in everything they do. Effective teachers have the knowledge to make informed decisions and adapt for individual differences in children throughout the day.
- Becoming an Intentional Teacher features get into the heads of what teachers are thinking and how and why they select the strategies they do.
- How Would You Respond? features are critical thinking, classroom-based exercises that ask students to make informed decisions to address situations.
- Chapter 9, Teaching to Enhance Learning and Development, is a unique, practical chapter that focuses on teaching strategies that work.
- Building Teaching Skills and Dispositions on MyEducationLab are assignable exercises in key areas such as planning a culturally responsive curriculum and making decisions about what is developmentally appropriate.
Focuses on Curriculum Content and What Is Important for Children’s Learning and Development
- Chapters 12—15 focus on the goals for young children’s learning and development in language, literacy, and the arts; math, science, and technology; social-emotional learning and social studies; and physical fitness and health.
- Play is integrated throughout as an effective means to support all domains of development and promote effective learning in all curriculum content areas.
- The emphasis on implementing effective curriculum includes current issues, such as the goal of aligning prekindergarten and primary education, research on what predicts later success in school, and expectations for teacher qualifications.
Table of Contents
PART 1: THE EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION PROFESSION: FOUNDATIONS
Chapter 1: Continuity and Change in Early Childhood Education
Chapter 2: Building on a Tradition of Excellence
Chapter 3: Understanding and Applying Developmentally Appropriate Practice
PART 2: Learing and Developing from Birth to Age 8 (Who we teach)
Chapter 4: Applying What We Know about Children’s Learning and Development
Chapter 5: Adapting for Individual Differences
Chapter 6: Embracing a Culturally and Linguistically Diverse World
PART 3: Intentional Teaching (How to Teach)
Chapter 7: Building Effective Partnerships with Families
Chapter 8: Creating a Caring Community of Learners: Guiding Young Children
Chapter 9: Teaching to Enhance Learning and Development
Chapter 10: Planning Effective Curriculum
Chapter 11: Assessing Children’s Learning and Development
PART 4: IMPLEMENTING AN EFFECTIVE CURRICULUM (WHAT TO TEACH)
Chapter 12: Teaching Children to Communicate: Language, Literacy, and the Arts
Chapter 13: Teaching Children to Investigate and Solve Problems: Mathematics, Science, and Technology
Chapter 14: Teaching Children to Live in a Democratic Society: Social-Emotional Learning and Social Studies
Chapter 15: Teaching Children to Be Healthy and Fit: Physical Development and Health
Chapter 16: Putting It All Together in Practice: Making a Difference for Children
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Effective Practices in Early Childhood Education: Building a Foundation, CourseSmart eTextbook
Format: Electronic Book
$63.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-704757-4