Written by leaders in the field, this best-selling book will guide teachers as they help all Pre-K — 8 learners make sense of math by supporting their own mathematical understanding and effective planning and instruction.
Elementary and Middle School Mathematics: Teaching Developmentallywas written to help teacher candidates and practicing teachers understand mathematics and become more confident in their ability to teach the subject to children in pre-K through eighth grade. Structured for easy reference, offering 23 chapters reflecting the latest research to consult throughout one’s teaching career, the revised edition infuses NCTM and Common Core State Standards with the benefits of problem-based mathematics instruction.
The Eighth Edition better prepares teachers to teach mathematics to all learners by including new strategies for English language learners and students with disabilities. The amount of coverage relating to mathematics in early childhood has been increased. More activities infusing technology and samples of authentic student work are introduced. Increased emphasis on formative assessment, showcased with an icon and notes throughout, guide teachers to master this difficult practice.
Table of Contents
Section 1: Teaching Mathematics: Foundations and Perspectives
Chapter 1 Teaching Mathematics in the 21st Century
Chapter 2 Exploring What it Means to Know and Do Mathematics
Chapter 3 Teaching through Problem Solving
Chapter 4 Planning in the Problem-Based Classroom
Chapter 5 Building Assessment into Instruction
Chapter 6 Teaching Mathematics Equitably to All Children
Chapter 7 Using Technological Tools to Teach Mathematics
Section 2: Development of Mathematical Concepts and Procedures
Chapter 8 Developing Early Number Concepts and Number Sense
Chapter 9 Developing Meanings for the Operations
Chapter 10 Helping Students Master the Basic Facts
Chapter 11 Developing Whole-Number Place-Value Concepts
Chapter 12 Developing Strategies for Addition and Subtraction Computation
Chapter 13 Developing Strategies for Multiplication and Division Computation
Chapter 14 Algebraic Thinking: Generalizations, Patterns, and Functions
Chapter 15 Developing Fraction Concepts
Chapter 16 Developing Strategies for Fraction Computation
Chapter 17 Developing Concepts of Decimals and Percents
Chapter 18 Proportional Reasoning
Chapter 19 Developing Measurement Concepts
Chapter 20 Geometric Thinking and Geometric Concepts
Chapter 21 Developing Concepts of Data Analysis
Chapter 22 Exploring Concepts of Probability
Chapter 23 Developing Concepts of Exponents, Integers, and Real Numbers
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Elementary and Middle School Mathematics: Teaching Developmentally, Enhanced Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package, 9th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users