Elementary Social Studies: A Practical Guide, Eighth Edition,clearly presents, in a friendly tone, the essential content and methods for teaching social studies in the K-8 classroom, while reflecting on the recent trends in technology, teaching English Language Learners, and meeting the needs of diverse students. This brief, but thorough text deals with the various social studies disciplines in a way that reflects the field’s greater focus on teaching history, geography, economics, and civic education. The content focuses on central concerns in teaching social studies in a standards-based environment, and prepares new teachers to successfully implement a social studies curriculum with concepts, strategies, and values relevant to elementary and middle grades.
This edition has been thoroughly updated to include new content on technology (podcasts, blogs, e-books), a focus on teaching English Learners, and meeting the needs of diverse students. The text also features full chapters in history, civic education, geography, and economics with multiple activities to show how these subjects can be taught in a creative and engaging way to help all students to think and act as democratic citizens.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Elementary Social Studies Curriculum
Chapter 2: Planning for Social Studies Instruction
Chapter 3: Instructional Strategies
Chapter 4: Using Multiple Assessments to Evaluate Student Learning in the Social Studies
Chapter 5: Teaching History
Chapter 6: Teaching Civic and Global Education
Chapter 7: Teaching Geography
Chapter 8: Teaching Economics
Chapter 9: Teaching for Diversity
Chapter 10: Reading and Literacies in Social Studies
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$66.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-309111-3