Provides an understanding of statistics in the social sciences.
This best-selling introduction to statistical analysis in the social sciences provides the right balance of conceptual understanding and step-by-step computational techniques. The eleventh edition of Elementary Statistics in Social Research is written to be understandable to all readers, particularly those without a strong background in mathematics.
This text is available in a variety of formats – print and digital. Check your favorite digital provider for your etext, including Coursesmart, Kindle, Nook, and more. To learn more about our programs, pricing options and customization, click the Choices tab.
Upon completing this book, readers will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of the importance of statistics in the social sciences.
Note: MySearchLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySearchLab, please visit: www.mysearchlab.com or you can purchase a ValuePack of the text + NEW MySearchLab (at no additional cost): ValuePack ISBN-10: 0205959814 / ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205959815.
Table of Contents
Brief Table of Contents:
Chapter 1: Why the Social Researcher Uses Statistics
PART ONE: Description
Chapter 2: Organizing the Data
Chapter 3: Measures of Central Tendency
Chapter 4: Measures of Variability
PART TWO: From Description to Decision Making
Chapter 5: Probability and the Normal Curve
Chapter 6: Samples and Populations
PART THREE: Decision Making
Chapter 7: Testing Differences between Means
Chapter 8: Analysis of Variance
Chapter 9: Nonparametric Tests of Significance
PART FOUR: From Decision Making to Association
Chapter 10: Correlation
Chapter 11: Regression Analysis
Chapter 12: Nonparametric Measures of Correlation
PART FIVE: Applying Statistics
Chapter 13: Choosing Statistical Procedures for Research Problems
Appendix A Introduction to SPSS
Appendix B A Review of Some Fundamentals of Mathematics
Appendix C Tables
Appendix D List of Formulas
Answers to Problems
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$56.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-99577-6
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$93.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-92453-0