The Fundamentals Text That Emphasizes Music Making
This music fundamentals textbook is for both aspiring music majors and non-majors. Based on an anthology of works from music literature, it features clear, concise explanations, extensive written exercises, and a variety of suggested in-class activities.
It emphasizes process of making music—emphasizing, at every stage, that music is to be heard and made—not merely seen and learned in the abstract. All of the key topics are covered: music notation; rhythm; scales; intervals; triads; basic harmonic progressions.
Several supplements are available for this text. An Audio CD ISBN 0131584197 / 9780131584198 is available including performances of key works analyzed in the text. The examples are also available in Finale files on MySearchLab so that students can directly work on exercises on their computers.
Teaching and Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning - MySearchLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking- Written exercises and assignments both in traditional written and electronic formats reinforce concepts.
- Engage Students- In-class activities, including singing, dictation, and keyboard exercises are designed to supplement and reinforce the theory lessons.
- Support Instructors- Supported by the best instructor resources on the market; MySearchLab and an Instructor’s Manual.
Note: MySearchLab does no come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySearchLab, please visit www. MySearchLab.com or you can purchase a valuepack of the text + MySearchLab
ISBN 0205858201 / 9780205858200 Elements of Music with MySearchLab, 3/e
Package consists of:
0205239927 / 9780205239924 MySearchLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card
0205007090 / 9780205007097 Elements of Music
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Pitch
Lesson 1: Staff
Lesson 2: Keyboard
Lesson 3: Treble Clef
Lesson 4: Bass Clef
Lesson 5: Great Staff
Chapter 2: Rhythm and Meter
Lesson 6: Quarter-, half-, and whole-notes in 4/4 meter
Lesson 7: Eighth-notes and sixteenth-notes
Lesson 8: Dots and ties
Lesson 9: Rests
Lesson 10: Duple meter (2/4 and 2/2)
Lesson 11: Triple meter (3/4)
Lesson 12: Compound meter (6/8)
Lesson 13: Syncopation
Chapter 3: Major and Minor Scales
Lesson 14: Major scale (C-major)
Lesson 15: Major scales other than C-major
Lesson 16: Major keys and key signatures
Lesson 17: Minor scale (A minor)
Lesson 18: Minor scales other than A-minor
Lesson 19: Minor keys and key signatures
Lesson 20: Harmonic and melodic minor
Chapter Four: Intervals
Lesson 21: Interval size
Lesson 22: Seconds and thirds
Lesson 23: Sixths and sevenths
Lesson 24: Fourths and fifths, unisons and octaves
Lesson 25: Intervals in a major key
Lesson 26: Intervals in a minor key
Chapter Five: Triads and seventh chords
Lesson 27: Triads
Lesson 28: Triads in inversion
Lesson 29: Triads in major keys
Lesson 30: Triads in minor keys
Lesson 31: Seventh chords
Chapter Six: Fundamentals of Harmony
Lesson 32: Tonic and dominant
Lesson 33: Expanding tonic and dominant
Lesson 34: Approaching the dominant
Lesson 35: Phrase and cadence
Harold Arlen, “Over the Rainbow”
Johann Sebastian Bach, Two Fugues from the Well-Tempered Clavier, Volume 1
No. 15 in G-major
No. 16 in G-minor
Johann Sebastian Bach, Two chorales from the St. Matthew Passion
Ludwig von Beethoven, Symphony No. 5, first movement
Frederic Chopin, Two Preludes from Opus 28
No. 7 in A-major
No. 20 in C-minor
Duke Ellington, “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)”
W.C. Handy, “St. Louis Blues”
Franz Joseph Haydn, String Quartet, Op. 76, No. 3, third movement (minuet)
Scott Joplin, “The Entertainer”
Josephine Lang, Song
John Lennon and Paul McCartney, “Yesterday”
Fanny Mendelssohn, Trio for Piano, Violin, and Cello, Op. 11, third movement
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Piano Sonata in A-major, K. 331, first movement, theme and variations 1, 3, and 6
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, “Dove sono” from The Marriage of Figaro
Matos Rodriguez, “La Cumparsita”
Franz Schubert, Two Songs
“Death and the Maiden”
Robert Schumann, Song
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$55.55 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-16179-9
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users