Entrepreneurship: Starting and Operating A Small Business, Third Edition, demystifies the process of starting a business by presenting difficult economic, financial and business concepts in a manner easily understood by beginning business students. This edition is based on a proven curriculum from the Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE) and includes new case studies, a new Honest Tea Business Plan, and more on topics such as cash flow and e-marketing. Drawing on the experience of Steve Mariotti and Caroline Glackin, students will begin building their business plan as soon as they open the text! In a step by step process students will learn how to start a small business, operate a small business and turn their ideas into viable business opportunities.
Table of Contents
UNIT I: ENTREPRENEURIAL PATHWAYS
1. Entrepreneurs Recognize Opportunities
2. The Business Plan: Road Map to Success
The Honest Tea Business Plan
3. Creating Business from Opportunity
Unit I Case Study: Nicole Miller Company
UNIT II: INTEGRATED MARKETING
4. Exploring Your Market
5. Developing the Right Marketing Mix and Plan
6. Smart Selling and Effective Customer Service
Unit II Case Study: Ken Done Studios
UNIT III: SHOW ME THE MONEY: FINDING, SECURING, AND MANAGING IT
7. Understanding and Managing Start-Up, Fixed, and Variable Costs
8. Using Financial Statements to Guide a Business
9. Cash Flow and Taxes
10. Financing Strategy: Debt, Equity, or Both?
Unit III: Case Study: FASTSIGNS
UNIT IV: OPERATING A SMALL BUSINESS EFFECTIVELY
11. Addressing Legal Issues and Managing Risk
12. Operating for Success
13. Management, Leadership and Ethical Practices
Unit III: Case Study: Mo's Chowder
14. Franchising, Licensing, and Harvesting: Cashing in Your Brand
Unit IV: Case Study: Avocent
APPENDIX I: HONEST TEA SAMPLE BUSINESS PLAN–ANNOTATED
APPENDIX II: SAMPLE STUDENT BUSINESS PLAN
APPENDIX III: BIZBUILDER BUISINESS PLAN
APPENDIX IV: RESOURCES FOR ENTREPRENEURS
APPENDIX V: USEFUL FORMULAS AND EQUATIONS
APPENDIX VI: ACCOUNTING JOURNAL DISTRIBUTION GUIDE
APPENDIX VII: USING BUSINESS PLAN PRO®
APPENDIX VIII: GLOSSARY
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
These online resources are available at no cost.
Companion Website for Entrepreneurship: Starting and Operating a Small Business, 3rd Edition
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Entrepreneurship: Starting and Operating A Small Business, 4th Edition as a replacement.