This edition features the exact same content as the traditional text in a convenient, three-hole- punched, loose-leaf version. Books a la Carte also offer a great value for your students—this format costs 35% less than a new textbook.
Environment: The Science behind the Stories captures your interest with a revolutionary new approach to environmental science. Integrated central case studies woven throughout each chapter, use real-life stories to give you a tangible and engaging framework around which to learn and understand the science behind environmental issues. Printed on FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified paper, the newly revised Fourth Edition engages you through the addition of new EnvisionIt photo essays and is now available with MasteringEnvironmentalScience™, the most effective and widely used learning and assessment system.
Table of Contents
I. FOUNDATIONS OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
1. Science and Sustainability:An Introduction to Environmental Science
2. Earth’s Physical Systems: Matter, Energy, and Geology
3. Evolution, Biodiversity, and Population Ecology
4. Species Interactions and Community Ecology
5. Environmental Systems and Ecosystem Ecology
6. Environmental Ethics and Economics: Values and Choices
7. Environmental Policy: Decision Making and Problem Solving
II. ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND THE SEARCH FOR SOLUTIONS
8. Human Population
9. Soil and Agriculture
10. Agriculture, Biotechnology, and the Future of Food
11. Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
12. Forests, Their Management, and Parks and Protected Areas
13. The Urban Environment: Creating Livable and Sustainable Cities
14. Environmental Health and Toxicology
15. Freshwater Systems and Resources
16. Marine and Coastal Systems and Resources
17. Atmospheric Science and Air Pollution
18. Global Climate Change
19. Fossil Fuels, Their Impacts, and Energy Conservation
20. Conventional Energy Alternatives
21. New Renewable Energy Alternatives
22. Managing Our Waste
23. Minerals and Mining
24. Sustainable Solutions
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Environment: The Science behind the Stories, Books a la Carte Edition, 5th Edition as a replacement.