ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
The Essential Cosmic Perspective with MasteringAstronomy®, Sixth Edition retains all of the features that have made this text so popular and effective. New features and updates based on current research will engage you as you learn about astronomy. The textbook package also includes updated supplements to support the book’s pedagogy, making it the most effective text in the one-semester astronomy market.
The Sixth Edition includes new visual foldout diagrams on the scale of space and time, a key concept in understanding the scope of the universe and individual objects within it. The book also includes Group Work Exercises to foster active participation in class and peer learning.
The Essential Cosmic Perspective, Sixth Edition is supported by MasteringAstronomy–an online homework and self-study system that will help students solidify their understanding and prepare for quizzes and exams, and Voyager SkyGazer College Edition v5.0, a planetarium software package that lets students explore the universe from their computer.
- MasteringAstronomy with Pearson eText Student Access Kit
- Voyager: SkyGazer v 5.0 College Edition Student Access Code Card
Table of Contents
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE
1. Our Place in the Universe
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself
3. The Science of Astronomy
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY
4. Making Sense of the Universe: Understanding Motion, Energy, and Gravity
5. Light: The Cosmic Messenger
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS
6. Formation of Planetary Systems: Our Solar System and Beyond
7. Earth and the Terrestrial Worlds
8. Jovian Planet System
9. Asteroids, Comets, and Dwarf Planets: Their Nature, Orbits, and Impacts
10. Our Star
11. Surveying the Stars
12. Star Stuff
13. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard
V. GALAXIES AND BEYOND
14. Our Galaxy
15. Galaxies and the Foundation of Modern Cosmology
16. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Universe
17. The Beginning of Time
VI. LIFE ON EARTH AND BEYOND
18. Life in the Universe
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Essential Cosmic Perspective Plus MasteringAstronomy with eText, The -- Access Card Package, 7th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$94.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84040-0
$94.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-73105-0
$62.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-83453-9
$62.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72438-0
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users