The Essential Cosmic Perspective with MasteringAstronomy®, Sixth Edition retains all of the features that have made this text so popular and effective. New features and updates based on current research will help students learn about astronomy. The textbook package also includes updated supplements to support the book’s pedagogy, making it the most effective text in the one-semester astronomy market.
The Sixth Edition includes new visual foldout diagrams on the scale of space and time, key concepts in understanding the scope of the universe and individual objects within it. The book also includes Group Work Exercises to foster active participation in collaborative, in-class learning.
The Essential Cosmic Perspective, Sixth Edition is supported by an unparalleled media package designed to help professors and students seamlessly incorporate media into lectures and self study. MasteringAstronomy is the most robust online tutorial and assessment program on the market, making assigning and grading homework easier than ever. The Instructor Resource DVD-ROM includes high resolution JPEGs of all images in the text, Interactive Figures and Photos based on figures from the book, PowerPoint® Lecture Outlines, Clicker Quizzes based on the book and book-specific interactive media, plus a variety of additional instructor resources.
- MasteringAstronomy with Pearson eText Student Access Kit
- Voyager: SkyGazer v5.0 College Edition CD-ROM
Table of Contents
I. DEVELOPING PERSPECTIVE
1. Our Place in the Universe
2. Discovering the Universe for Yourself
3. The Science of Astronomy
II. KEY CONCEPTS FOR ASTRONOMY
4. Making Sense of the Universe: Understanding Motion, Energy, and Gravity
5. Light: The Cosmic Messenger
III. LEARNING FROM OTHER WORLDS
6. Formation of Planetary Systems: Our Solar System and Beyond
7. Earth and the Terrestrial Worlds
8. Jovian Planet System
9. Asteroids, Comets, and Dwarf Planets: Their Nature, Orbits, and Impacts
10. Our Star
11. Surveying the Stars
12. Star Stuff
13. The Bizarre Stellar Graveyard
V. GALAXIES AND BEYOND
14. Our Galaxy
15. Galaxies and the Foundation of Modern Cosmology
16. Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Fate of the Universe
17. The Beginning of Time
VI. LIFE ON EARTH AND BEYOND
18. Life in the Universe
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Essential Cosmic Perspective, The, CourseSmart eTextbook, 6th Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$58.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72431-1