This accessible look at “how to do career counseling” clearly defines the profession and the competencies counselors need to pursue as part of their training. Straightforward and accessible, Essential Elements of Career Counseling focuses on the practice of career counseling, examined through the basic techniques and resources useful in supporting the theories of career choice and development. The use of the Internet as a career counseling tool is emphasized; emerging issues such as Web-based counseling are explored; and case studies illustrate authentic counseling strategies and techniques in action. This edition features a new look at such areas as using group counseling methods in job searches and using the resume to inspire the development of career stories, providing a highly practical look at the practice of career counseling today.
Table of Contents
1. Career Counseling: Myths, Realities, and Emerging Trends
2. Using Career Theories to Help Clients
3. Context and Career Planning
4. Negotiating the Career Counseling Relationship
5. Defining the Client’s Career Concerns
6. Exploring the Problem: Understanding the Self
7. Exploring the Problem: Contextual and Labor Market Options
8. Using Technology in Support of Career Counseling
9. Consolidation, Decision Making, and Action Planning
10. Implementing Action Plans
11. Evaluating Client Progress
12. Adapting Career Counseling to Counseling Setting
Appendix A: The National Career Development Association’s Career Counseling Competency and Performance Indicators
Appendix B: National Career Development Association Ethical Standards (Revised 2003)
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$17.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-285089-6