A succinct, practicable text that equips school leaders with an expansive repertoire of essential skills and reinforces the leadership knowledge necessary for success.
All leaders, particularly school leaders, share five essential skills:
Confidence. Leaders believe in themselves and their ability to mobilize others to act.
Communication. Leaders are able to articulate their goals and transform words into deeds, and rhetoric into results.
Collaboration. Leaders recognize that success is a team effort.
Coaching. Leaders invest time and energy into developing their team.
Continuous Improvement. Leaders view change as opportunity.
This book is based on the premise that there is no single ideal school leader profile or leadership style. It contains tools for activating and motivating the community on behalf of students, developing the ability to be decisive and achieve results, facilitating collaboration to improve teaching and learning, implementing detailed action plans, and balancing leadership challenges.
Designed for individual school leaders and those who aspire to be, this book contains easy-to-understand, ready-to-use leadership lessons created to inspire the acquisition of pertinent decision-making and school leadership skills. A valuable resource for every reader, it is designed to be easily customizable. Topics that are most relevant to each situation are easily selected and tailored to every leader's individual development program.
Table of Contents
Part One: To Lead Is To Learn–Confidence Skills
7 Ways To Build Confidence In Your Leadership
1. Leading To Learn
2. Leading With Vision
3. Leading With Inspiration
4. Leading With Responsibility
5. Leading With Results
6. Leading With Values
7. Leading With Consistency
Part Two: To Lead Is To Listen–Communication Skills __
6 Tools To Enhance Communication
1. Recognizing The Difference Between Content And Context
2. Being A Dedicated Listener
3. Measuring Rapport By Results
4. Learning Styles
5. Connecting With Style
6. Building A Communicating Community
Part Three: To Lead Is To Align–Collaboration Skills __
9 Strategies To Facilitate Collaboration
1. Facilitating “Learningful” Dialogue
2. Knowing How You Decide Can Be As Important As What You Decide
3. Building Consensus
4. Solving Problems Collaboratively
5. Transforming Problems Into Opportunities
6. Creating Innovative Solutions
7. Choosing The Best Solution
8. Committing To Act
9. Mastering The Art Of Dilemma Management
Part Four: To Lead Is To Teach–Coaching Skills _________
6 Practices To Improve Performance
1. Making Deposits In The Emotional Bank Account
2. Creating A Context For Coaching
3. Coaching BOLD Goals
4. Giving Focused Feedback
5. Balancing Reflection And Instruction
6. Sharing Best Practices
Part Five: To Lead Is To Succeed–Continuous Improvement Skills ___
6 Steps To Manage Change
1. Creating A Culture Of Shared Leadership
2. Envisioning School Success
3. Planning School Success
4. Allocating Resources To Support School Success
5. Developing Capacity For School Success
6. Measuring And Rewarding School Success
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.