Gary Rockswold teaches algebra in context, answering the question, “Why am I learning this?” By experiencing math through applications, students see how it fits into their lives, and they become motivated to succeed. Rockswold’s focus on conceptual understanding helps students make connections between the concepts and as a result, students see the bigger picture of math and are prepared for future courses. This streamlined text covers linear, quadratic, nonlinear, exponential, and logarithmic functions and systems of equations and inequalities, which gets to the heart of what students need from this course. A more comprehensive college algebra text is also available.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Functions and Graphs
1.1 Numbers, Data, and Problem Solving
1.2 Visualizing and Graphing Data
1.3 Functions and Their Representations
1.4 Types of Functions
1.5 Functions and Their Rates of Change
2. Linear Functions and Equations
2.1 Linear Functions and Models
2.2 Equations of Lines
2.3 Linear Equations
2.4 Linear Inequalities
2.5 Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities
3. Quadratic Functions and Equations
3.1 Quadratic Functions and Models
3.2 Quadratic Equations and Problem Solving
3.3 Complex Numbers
3.4 Quadratic Inequalities
3.5 Transformations of Graphs
4. More Nonlinear Functions and Equations
4.1 More Nonlinear Functions and Their Graphs
4.2 Polynomial Functions and Models
4.3 Division of Polynomials
4.4 Real Zeros of Polynomial Functions
4.5 The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra
4.6 Rational Functions and Models
4.7 More Equations and Inequalities
4.8 Radical Equations and Power Functions
5. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
5.1 Combining Functions
5.2 Inverse Functions and Their Representations
5.3 Exponential Functions and Models
5.4 Logarithmic Functions and Models
5.5 Properties of Logarithms
5.6 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
5.7 Constructing Nonlinear Models
6. Systems of Equations and Inequalities
6.1 Functions and Systems of Equations in Two Variables
6.2 Systems of Inequalities in Two Variables
6.3 Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables
6.4 Solutions to Linear Systems Using Matrices
6.5 Properties and Applications of Matrices
6.6 Inverses of Matrices
Reference: Basic Concepts from Algebra and Geometry
R.1 Formulas from Geometry
R.2 Integer Exponents
R.3 Polynomial Expressions
R.4 Factoring Polynomials
R.5 Rational Expressions
R.6 Radical Notation and Rational Exponents
R.7 Radical Expressions
Appendix A: Using the Graphing Calculator
Appendix B: A Library of Functions
Appendix C: Partial Fractions
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$103.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72670-4
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-73052-7
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$73.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-83073-9
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$122.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72672-8