For courses in oral radiography as part of programs for dental assistants and hygienists.
This clear, up-to-date, and student-friendly texttightly links oral radiological principles with modern practice. It presents all information needed for introductory courses in dental radiography, preparing students for board and licensing examinations while offering real-world resources for clinical practice and patient management. Coverage includes: historical perspectives, radiation basics, biologic effects and protection, dental X-ray image receptors, processing techniques; dental radiographer fundamentals, intraoral and extraoral techniques, radiographic errors, quality assurance; mounting and viewing radiographs, and patient management. This Ninth Edition integrates coverage of digital imaging throughout, presents paralleling and bisecting techniques in separate chapters, and adds a new chapter on safety and environmental responsibilities. It also contains many new study questions and improved images.
Table of Contents
PART I: Historical Perspective and Radiation Basics
1. History of Dental Radiography
2. Characteristics and Measurement of Radiation
3. The Dental X-ray Machine: Components and Functions
4. Producing Quality Radiographs
PART II: Biological Effects of Radiation and Radiation Protection
5. Effects of Radiation Exposure
6. Radiation Protection
PART III: Dental X-ray Image Receptors and Processing Techniques
7. Dental X-ray Film
8. Dental X-ray Film Processing
9. Digital Radiography
PART IV: Dental Radiographer Fundamentals
10. Infection Control
11. Legal and Ethical Responsibilities
12. Patient Relations and Education
PART V: Intraoral Techniques
13. Intraoral Radiographic Procedures
14. The Periapical Examination-Paralleling Technique
15. The Periapical Examination-Bisecting Technique
16. The Bitewing Examination
17. The Occlusal Examination
PART VI: Radiographic Errors and Quality Assurance
18. Identifying and Correcting Undiagnostic Radiographs
19. Quality Assurance in Dental Radiography.
20. Safety and Environmental Responsibilities in Radiography
PART VII: Mounting and Viewing Dental Radiographs
21. Mounting and Introduction to Interpretation
22. Recognizing Normal Radiographic Anatomy
23. Recognizing Deviations from Normal Radiographic Anatomy
24. The Use of Radiographs in the Detection of Dental Caries
25. The Use of Radiographs in the Evaluation of Periodontal Diseases
PART VIII: Patient Management and Supplemental Techniques
26. Radiographic Techniques for Children
27. Managing Patients with Special Needs
28. Supplemental Radiographic Techniques
PART IX: Extraoral Techniques
29. Extraoral Radiography and Alternate Imaging Modalities
30. Panoramic Radiography
Answers to Study Questions
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Essentials of Dental Radiography, CourseSmart eTextbook, 9th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$37.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-801946-4