NOTE: Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for the Enhanced Pearson eText may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
This package includes the Enhanced Pearson eText and the loose-leaf version
Focused on the “big ideas” of educational psychology, Essentials of Educational Psychology presents the core concepts and research-based strategies that are most directly applicable to teaching and learning. Full of classroom applications and strategies for planning and carrying out instruction, assessment, and classroom management, this unique text helps readers understand how to facilitate learning as teachers. This title is offered as an Enhanced Pearson eText and provides a rich, interactive learning experience with embedded video, video analysis exercises, interactive learning modules, classroom simulations, licensure examination preparation exercises, and assessments. The Enhanced Pearson eText features embedded video, video analysis exercises, interactive learning modules, classroom simulations, licensure examination preparation exercises, and assessments.
Improve mastery and retention with the Enhanced Pearson eText*
The Enhanced Pearson eText provides a rich, interactive learning environment designed to improve student mastery of content. The Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. The new interactive, multimedia learning features were developed by the authors and other subject-matter experts to deepen and enrich the learning experience.
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad® and Android® tablet.*
- Affordable. Experience the advantages of the Enhanced Pearson eText along with all the benefits of print for 40% to 50% less than a print bound book.
*The Enhanced eText features are only available in the Pearson eText format. They are not available in third-party eTexts or downloads.
*The Pearson eText App is available on Google Play and in the App Store. It requires Android OS 3.1-4, a 7” or 10” tablet, or iPad iOS 5.0 or later.
0133830837 / 9780133830835 Essentials of Educational Psychology: Big Ideas to Guide Effective Teaching, Loose-Leaf Version with Enhanced Pearson eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
- 0133416461 / 9780133416466 Essentials of Educational Psychology: Big Ideas to Guide Effective Teaching, Loose-Leaf Version
- 0133747174 / 9780133747171 Essentials of Educational Psychology: Big Ideas to Guide Effective Teaching, Enhanced Pearson eText -- Access Card
From reviews of the book:
“I do not think anyone can write to an undergraduate like Jeanne Ormrod can.”
—Deborah Switzer, Clemson University
“Many similar textbooks suffer from the "everything, including the kitchen sink" problem. This is a mostly-lean and focused text. . . . The extensive examples help with clarity. . . . [And I] appreciate how a chapter starts with theory and research, and ends with lots and lots of useful strategies. This book really matches its subtitle [“Big Ideas to Guide Effective Teaching”]. I . . . greatly value the Cultural Considerations box in each chapter. . . [and] plan to make time to come back and study them again, to improve both how I teach and what I teach my students about learner differences.”
—Kym Buchanan, University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
“I see students in my class who are not able to do well in other courses . . . get high grades in this course partly due to the textbook. This text is written in a . . . way for students to get the main points of the material and connect them with real-life examples. In this way, they are able to quickly become successful at understanding the material in a practical and applicable way. This text . . . is [also]a good study tool to use when preparing for licensure exams.”
—Kimberlee Taylor, Utah State University
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Introduction to Educational Psychology
GENERAL GUIDING PRINCIPLES OF EDUCATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY
DEVELOPING AS A TEACHER
STRATEGIES FOR LEARNING AND STUDYING EFFECTIVELY
Chapter 2. Learning, Cognition, and Memory
LEARNING AS A CONSTRUCTIVE PROCESS
THINKING AND LEARNING IN THE BRAIN
HOW HUMAN MEMORY OPERATES
WHY LEARNERS MAY OR MAY NOT REMEMBER WHAT THEY HAVE
PROMOTING EFFECTIVE COGNITIVE PROCESSES
Chapter 3. Learning in Context
IMMEDIATE STIMULI AS CONTEXT
SOCIAL INTERACTION AS CONTEXT
CULTURE AS CONTEXT
SOCIETY AS CONTEXT
TECHNOLOGY AND MEDIA AS CONTEXTS
ACADEMIC CONTENT DOMAINS AS CONTEXTS
HOW LEARNERS MODIFY THEIR ENVIRONMENTS
PROVIDING SUPPORTIVE CONTEXTS FOR LEARNING
Chapter 4. Complex Cognitive Processes
PROBLEM SOLVING AND CREATIVITY
PROMOTING COMPLEX COGNITIVE PROCESSES
Chapter 5. Cognitive Development
GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF DEVELOPMENT
TRENDS IN COGNITIVE DEVELOPMENT
ADDRESSING STUDENTS’ DEVELOPMENTAL NEEDS
Chapter 6. Motivation and Affect
THE NATURE OF MOTIVATION
BASIC HUMAN NEEDS
INTRINSIC AND EXTRINSIC MOTIVATION
COGNITIVE FACTURES IN MOTIVATION
AFFECT AND ITS EFFECTS ON MOTIVATION AND LEARNING
PROMOTING MOTIVATION AND PRODUCTIVE AFFECT
Chapter 7. Personal, Social, and Moral Development
PERSONALITY AND SENSE OF SELF
MORAL AND PROSOCIAL DEVELOPMENT
PROMOTING PERSONAL, SOCIAL, AND MORAL DEVELOPMENT
SUPPORTING STUDENTS WHO FACE EXCEPTIONAL PERSONAL OR
Chapter 8. Instructional Strategies
CONDUCTING TEACHER-DIRECTED INSTRUCTION
CONDUCTING LEARNER-DIRECTED INSTRUCTION
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES
Chapter 9. Strategies for Creating an Effective Classroom Environment
CREATING AN ENVIRONMENT CONDUCIVE TO LEARNING
EXPANDING THE SENSE OF COMMUNITY BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
REDUCING UNPRODUCTIVE BEHAVIORS
ADDRESSING AGGRESSION AND VIOLENCE AT SCHOOL
Chapter 10. Assessment Strategies
USING ASSESSMENTS FOR VARIOUS PURPOSES
ENHANCING LEARNING THROUGH CLASSROOM ASSESSMENT PRACTICES
IMPORTANT QUALITIES OF GOOD ASSESSMENT
CONDUCTING INFORMAL ASSESSMENTS
DESIGNING AND GIVING FORMAL ASSESSMENTS
EVALUATING STUDENTS’ PERFORMANCE ON FORMAL ASSESSMENTS
SUMMARIZING STUDENTS’ ACHIEVEMENT WITH GRADES AND
ASSESSING STUDENTS’ ACHIEVEMENT AND ABILITIES WITH
Appendix A. Describing Associations with Correlation Coefficients
Appendix B. Understanding and Interpreting Standardized Test Results
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$33.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-352011-8