A Down-to-Earth Approach
James Henslin shares the excitement of sociology in Essentials of Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach, 11/e. With his acclaimed "down-to-earth" approach and personal writing style, the author highlights the sociology of everyday life and its relevance to students' lives. With wit, personal reflection, and illuminating examples, Henslin stimulates students’ sociological imagination so they can better perceive how the pieces of society fit together. In addition to this trademark down-to-earth approach, other distinctive features include: comparative perspectives, the globalization of capitalism, and visual presentations of sociology.
MySocLab is an integral part of the Henslin learning program. Engaging activities and assessments provide a teaching a learning system that helps students see the world through a sociological lens. With MySocLab, students can develop critical thinking skills through writing, explore real-world data through the new Social Explorer, and watch the latest entries in the Core Concept Video Series.
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. It:
- Personalizes Learning with MySocLab: MySocLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance.
- Explores a A Down-to-Earth Approach: This title highlights the sociology of everyday life and its relevance to students' lives.
- Improves Critical Thinking: Features throughout help build critical thinking skills.
- Understands Social Change: An important theme of the text, social change over time, examines what society was previously like, how it has changed, and what the implications are for the present and future.
Essentials of Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach, Eleventh Edition is also available via REVEL™, an immersive learning experience designed for the way today's students read, think, and learn. Learn more.
ALERT:¿Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you¿select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition,¿you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
This title is available in a variety of formats – digital and print. Pearson offers its titles on the devices students love through Pearson's MyLab products, CourseSmart, Amazon, and more.
0133810607 / 9780133810608 Essentials of Sociology Plus NEW MySocLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package
Package consists of
0133803546 / 9780133803549 Essentials of Sociology
0205206530 / 9780205206537 NEW MySocLab with Pearson eText -- Valuepack Access Card
Table of Contents
Part I: The Sociological Perspective
Chapter 1: The Sociological Perspective
Chapter 2: Culture
Chapter 3: Socialization
Chapter 4: Social Structure and Social Interaction
Chapter 5: Social Groups and Formal Organizations
Part II: Social Groups and Social Control
Chapter 6: Deviance and Social Control
Part III: Social Inequality
Chapter 7: Global Stratification
Chapter 8: Social Class in the United States
Chapter 9: Race and Ethnicity
Chapter 10: Gender and Age
Part IV: Social Institutions
Chapter 11: Politics and the Economy
Chapter 12: Marriage and Family
Chapter 13: Education and Religion
Part V: Social Change
Chapter 14: Population and Urbanization
Chapter 15: Social Change and the Environment
This item has been upgraded to ESSENTLS SOCIOLOGY & NEW MSL ETX SAC SOC PK.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$89.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-381411-8
$87.93 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-381413-2
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$76.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-377738-3
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$188.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-380354-9
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$128.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-380366-2