Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyStatLab does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MyStatLab, search for ISBN-10: 0133864960/ISBN-13: 9780133864960. That package includes ISBN-10: 0321847997/ISBN-13:9780321847997, ISBN-10: 032184839X/ISBN-13:9780321848390 andISBN-10: 0321924592/ISBN-13: 9780321924599.
MyStatLab is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
From SAT scores to job search methods, statistics influences and shapes the world around us. Marty Triola’s text continues to be the bestseller because it helps students understand the relationship between statistics and the world, bringing life to the theory and methods. Essentials of Statistics raises the bar with every edition by incorporating an unprecedented amount of real and interesting data that will help instructors connect with students today, and help them connect statistics to their daily lives. The Fifth Edition contains more than 1,800 exercises, 89% of which use real data and 85% of which are new. Hundreds of examples are included, 91% of which use real data and 84% of which are new. New coverage of Ethics in Statistics highlights new guidelines that have been established in the industry.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Statistics
1-1 Review and Preview
1-2-Statistical Thinking and Critical Thinking
1-3 Types of Data
1-4 Collecting Sample Data
2. Summarizing and Graphing Data
2-1 Review and Preview
2-2 Frequency Distributions
2-4 Graphs that Enlighten and Graphs that Deceive
3. Statistics for Describing, Exploring, and Comparing Data
3-1 Review and Preview
3-2 Measures of Center
3-3 Measures of Variation
3-4 Measures of Relative Standing & Boxplots
4-1 Review and Preview
4-2 Basic Concepts of Probability
4-3 Addition Rule
4-4 Multiplication Rule: Basics
4-5 Multiplication Rule: Complements and Conditional Probability
4-7 Probabilities Through Simulations (on CD-ROM)
4-8 Bayes’ Theorem (on CD-ROM)
5. Discrete Probability Distributions
5-1 Review and Preview
5-2 Probability Distributions
5-3 Binomial Probability Distributions
5-4 Parameters for Binomial Distributions
6. Normal Probability Distributions
6-1 Review and Preview
6-2 The Standard Normal Distribution
6-3 Applications of Normal Distributions
6-4 Sampling Distributions and Estimators
6-5 Central Limit Theorem
6-6 Assessing Normality
6-7 Normal as Approximation to Binomial
7. Estimates and Sample Size
7-1 Review and Preview
7-2 Estimating a Population Proportion
7-3 Estimating Population Mean
7-4 Estimating Population Standard Deviation or Variance
8. Hypothesis Testing
8-1 Review and Preview
8-2 Basics of Hypothesis Testing
8-3 Testing a Claim About a Proportion
8-4 Testing a Claim About a Mean
8-5 Testing a Claim About a Standard Deviation or Variance
9. Inferences from Two Samples
9-1 Review and Preview
9-2 Two Proportions
9-3 Two Means: Independent Samples
9-4 Two Dependent Samples (Matched Pairs)
10. Correlation and Regression
10-1 Review and Preview
10-4 Rank Correlation
11. Chi-Square and Analysis of Variance
11-1 Review and Preview
11-3 Contingency Tables11-4 Analysis of Variance
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$45.60 | Add to Cart
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780133937312
Includes this title packaged with:
- MyStatLab -- Valuepack Access Card
. . Pearson Education
$239.27 | Add to Cart
Package ISBN-13: 9780133963120
Includes this title packaged with:
- Graphing Calculator Study Card for Statistics
$176.00 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$99.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-94525-9
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-94524-2
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$71.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92463-6
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$122.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-389269-7
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$120.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92673-9