From SAT scores to job search methods, statistics influences and shapes the world around us. Marty Triola’s text continues to be the bestseller because it helps students understand the relationship between statistics and the world, bringing life to the theory and methods.
Essentials of Statistics (a briefer version of Elementary Statistics—see below for the full series) raises the bar with every edition by incorporating an unprecedented amount of real and interesting data that will help instructors connect with students today, and help them connect statistics to their daily lives. The Fifth Edition contains more than 1,585 exercises, 89% of which use real data and 86% of which are new. Hundreds of examples are included, 92% of which use real data and 85% of which are new. New coverage of Ethics in Statistics highlights new guidelines that have been established in the industry.
This program provides a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalized learning with MyStatLab™: the accompanying MyStatLab online course provides users with countless opportunities to practice, plus statistics specific resources and tools that enhance their experience and comprehension.
- Real data is prevalent throughout the text, showing that statistics is a study grounded in real life.
- Thoughtful features—such as the flexible organization, Flowcharts for complex procedures, and From Data to Decision capstone problems—make this text a useful learning companion for the course. See the “Features” section for more details.
- Essential technology resources are included to help students focus on the concepts, not just learning keystrokes.
Elementary Statistics is part of a series that also includes an Essentials version as well as technology-specific texts, Elementary Statistics Using the TI 83/84 Calculator and Elementary Statistics Using Excel. Data sets and other resources for this series are available at our website.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Statistics
1-1 Review and Preview
1-2-Statistical Thinking and Critical Thinking
1-3 Types of Data
1-4 Collecting Sample Data
2. Summarizing and Graphing Data
2-1 Review and Preview
2-2 Frequency Distributions
2-4 Graphs that Enlighten and Graphs that Deceive
3. Statistics for Describing, Exploring, and Comparing Data
3-1 Review and Preview
3-2 Measures of Center
3-3 Measures of Variation
3-4 Measures of Relative Standing & Boxplots
4-1 Review and Preview
4-2 Basic Concepts of Probability
4-3 Addition Rule
4-4 Multiplication Rule: Basics
4-5 Multiplication Rule: Complements and Conditional Probability
4-7 Probabilities Through Simulations (on CD-ROM)
4-8 Bayes’ Theorem (on CD-ROM)
5. Discrete Probability Distributions
5-1 Review and Preview
5-2 Probability Distributions
5-3 Binomial Probability Distributions
5-4 Parameters for Binomial Distributions
6. Normal Probability Distributions
6-1 Review and Preview
6-2 The Standard Normal Distribution
6-3 Applications of Normal Distributions
6-4 Sampling Distributions and Estimators
6-5 Central Limit Theorem
6-6 Assessing Normality
6-7 Normal as Approximation to Binomial
7. Estimates and Sample Size
7-1 Review and Preview
7-2 Estimating a Population Proportion
7-3 Estimating Population Mean
7-4 Estimating Population Standard Deviation or Variance
8. Hypothesis Testing
8-1 Review and Preview
8-2 Basics of Hypothesis Testing
8-3 Testing a Claim About a Proportion
8-4 Testing a Claim About a Mean
8-5 Testing a Claim About a Standard Deviation or Variance
9. Inferences from Two Samples
9-1 Review and Preview
9-2 Two Proportions
9-3 Two Means: Independent Samples
9-4 Two Dependent Samples (Matched Pairs)
10. Correlation and Regression
10-1 Review and Preview
10-4 Rank Correlation
11. Chi-Square and Analysis of Variance
11-1 Review and Preview
11-3 Contingency Tables11-4 Analysis of Variance
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Essentials of Statistics, CourseSmart eTextbook, 5th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$69.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92460-5