Reflecting the social and political dynamics in the United States, this edited volume offers an inclusive look at multicultural diversity in the U.S. with extensive coverage of the family life styles, traditions and values of seventeen American ethnic groups.
Providing unique and personal insights, each chapter is written by a contributing author representing a particular ethnic group and is structured in a similar pattern - covering the historical background, key ethnic cultural components, traditional and current ethnic family characteristics, and changes and adaptations to the ethnic family and culture. The book is suitable for undergraduate courses in Sociology of the Family, Sociology of Minority Groups, Social Work with Minority Groups, and Race and Ethnicity.
Upon completing this book, readers should be able to:
- Have a better understanding at the multicultural diversity of families in the United States
- Have a deeper understanding of family life styles, traditions, and values of a wide range of ethnic families in America
Table of Contents
Part I: Setting the Stage
Chapter 1: Diversity Among American Ethnic Minorities
Charles H. Mindel
Jeanette R. Davidson
Chapter 2: A “Then and Now” Overview of the Immigrant Family in America
Charles A. Mindel
Robert W. Habenstein
Part II: European Ethnic Families
Chapter 3: The Irish-American Family
Patricia J. Fanning
Chapter 4: The Greek-American Family
Chapter 5: The Italian-American Family
Chapter 6: The Polish-American Family
Mary Patrice Erdmans
Part Three: Hispanic / Latino Ethnic Families
Chapter 7: The Mexican-American Family
Rosina M. Becerra
Chapter 8: The Cuban-American Family
Zulema E. Suárez
Rose M. Perez
Chapter 9: The Puerto Rican-American Family
Lirio K. Negroni
Chapter 10: The Dominican-American Family
Part IV: Asian American Ethnic Families
Chapter 11: The Korean-American family
Pyong Gap Min
Chapter 12: The Vietnamese-American Family
Thanh Van Tran
Phu Tai Phan
Chapter 13: The Chinese-American Family
Morrison G. Wong
Chapter 14: The Japanese-American Family
Chapter 15: The Filipino-American Family
Carl L. Bankston III
Chapter 16: The Asian Indian-American Family
Uma A. Segal
Part V: Historically Subjugated Ethnic Families
Chapter 17: The African-American Family
Dwain A. Pellebon
Chapter 18: The Native American Indian Family
Part VI: Socio-Religious Ethnic Families
Chapter 19: The Jewish-American Family
Charles H. Mindel
Chapter 20: The Amish-American Family
Donald B. Kraybill
Gertrude Enders Huntington
Chapter 21: The Mormon-American Family
David C. Dollahite
Chapter 22: The Muslim-American Family
Bahira Sherif Trask
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$54.99 | Buy Access
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$56.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-92212-3