Table of Contents
1. The Peoples and States of Europe on the Eve of 1914.
2. The Coming of the Great War.
3. The Great War of 1914-1918.
4. Europe Transformed: The Aftermath of War in the 1920s.
5. The Dissolution of the Ancestral Order: Culture and Thought in the Postwar Era.
6. Depression and Dictatorship in the 1930s.
7. The Background of the Second World War.
8. The Second World War, 1939-1945.
9. Europe and the Cold War, 1945-1956.
10. The Post-1945 Recovery of Western Europe.
11. Soviet Communism after Stalin.
12. Western Europe in the 1960s and 1970s.
13. The 1980s: Dramatic Decade.
14. The Twentieth Century Winds Down; Europe and the World in the 1990s.
15. Conclusion: In the Dying Century, A Dying Civilization?