Updated in its 8th edition, European Democracies is an introduction to the politics and governments of Western, Central, and Eastern Europe. Organized thematically rather than country-by-country, this text analyzes European countries from the level of the European Union and from the level of regions. It also surveys issues ranging from parties and policy to democratization and globalization. Throughout, Markus Crepaz and Jurg Steiner treat Europe as a single but diverse entity and ask readers to compare what they learn about European politics with the politics of their own country.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Becoming Modern in Europe and America: Different History, Different Politics
Chapter 2. Political Parties
Chapter 3. Parliaments: How They are Elected and How They Work
Chapter 4. Cabinet Formation and Heads of State
Chapter 5. Courts
Chapter 6. Federalism and Referendum
Chapter 7. Social Movements
Chapter 8. The State and Economic Interest Groups
Chapter 9. Policy Outcomes
Chapter 10. The End of the Cold War
Chapter 11. Transitions to Democracy
Chapter 12. Nationalism and Ethnic Movements
Chapter 13. Power Sharing in Deeply Divided Societies
Chapter 14. The European Union
Chapter 15. Globalization and European Democracies
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$35.99 | Buy Access
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users