Fron foundation to innovation: discover the best of biological anthropology.
Over the past 40 years, the study of biological anthropology has rapidly evolved from focusing on just physical anthropology to including the study of the fossil record and the human skeleton, genetics of individuals and populations, our primate relatives, human adaptation, and human behavior.
The 3rd edition of Exploring Biological Anthropology combines the most up-to-date, comprehensive coverage of the foundations of the field with modern innovations and discoveries.
A better teaching and learning experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalize Learning – The new MyAnthroLab delivers proven results in helping students succeed, provides engaging experiences that personalize learning, and comes from a trusted partner with educational expertise and a deep commitment to helping students and instructors achieve their goals.
- Improve Critical Thinking - This text provides students with the best possible art, photos, and mapsfor every topic covered in the book, helping them gain a better understanding of key material.
- Engage Students – “Insights and Advances” boxes and “Innovations” features help students develop an appreciation for the excitement of discovery.
- Support Instructors – MyAnthroLab, an author-reviewed Instructor’s Manual, Electronic “MyTest” Test Bank, PowerPoint Presentation Slides, and Pearson Custom course material are available to be packaged with this text. Additionally, we offer package options for the lab portion of your course with Method & Practice in Biological Anthropology: A Workbook and Laboratory Manual for Introductory Courses, or Atlas of Anthropology.
Note: MyAnthroLab does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MyAnthroLab, please visit: www.myanthrolab.com.
Table of Contents
Part I Foundations
Chapter 1: Introduction: What is Biological Anthropology?
Chapter 2: Origins of Evolutionary Thought
Part II Mechanisms of Evolution
Chapter 3: Genetics: Cells and Molecules
Chapter 4: Genetics: From Genotype to Phenotype
Chapter 5: The Forces of Evolution and the Formation of Species
Chapter 6: Human Variation: Evolution, Adaptation, and Adaptability
Part III Primates
Chapter 7: The Primates
Chapter 8: Primate Behavior
Part IV The Fossil Record
Chapter 9: Geology and Primate Origins
Chapter 10: Early Hominins and Australopithecus
Chapter 11: Rise of the Genus Homo
Chapter 12: Archaic Homo sapiens and Neandertals
Chapter 13: The Origin, Dispersal, and Bioarchaeology of Homo sapiens
Part V Biology and Behavior of Modern Humans
Chapter 14: Evolution of Brain and Behavior
Chapter 15: Biomedical and Forensic Anthropology
Appendix A: Primate and Human Comparative Anatomy
Appendix B: The Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium
Appendix C: Metric-Imperial Conversions
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Format: Alternate Binding
This item has been upgraded to Exploring Biological Anthropology: The Essentials, 4th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$89.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-90760-1
$65.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-90782-3
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$74.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-93271-9
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$124.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-90772-4