For all undergraduate and graduate students of Financial Markets. This title is also suitable for all readers interested in financial markets and institutions.
A practical and current look into today’s financial markets and institutions.
In Financial Markets and Institutions, bestselling authors Frederic S. Mishkin and Stanley G. Eakins provide a practical introduction to prepare students for today’s changing landscape of financial markets and institutions.
A unifying framework uses core principles to organize students’ thinking then examines the models as real-world scenarios from a practitioner’s perspective. By analyzing these applications, students develop the critical-thinking and problem-solving skills necessary to respond to challenging situations in their future careers. Although this text has undergone a major revision, the Eighth Edition retains Mishkin/Eakins’ hallmark pedagogy that make it the best-selling textbook on financial markets and institutions.
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Organize Learning with a Unifying Analytic Framework: Core principles organize students’ thinking and then examine the models as real-world scenarios from a practitioner’s perspective.
- Help Students Transition from Classroom to Career with Real-Life Business Scenarios: Cases increase students’ interest by applying theory to real-world data and examples.
- Emphasis Critical Thinking with Key Features: Examples and exercises allow students to put into practice the concepts that they are learning.
- Keep Your Course Current and Relevant: New material on financial markets and institutions and monetary policy appear throughout the text.
Table of Contents
1. Why Study Financial Markets and Institutions?
2. Overview of the Financial System
II. Fundamentals of Financial Markets
3. What Do Interest Rates Mean and What Is Their Role in Valuation?
4. Why Do Interest Rates Change?
5. How Do Risk and Term Structure Affect Interest Rates?
6. Are Financial Markets Efficient?
III. Fundamentals of Financial Institutions
7. Why Do Financial Institutions Exist?
8. Why Do Financial Crises Occur and Why Are They So Damaging to the Economy?
IV. Central Banking and the Conduct of Monetary Policy
9. Central Banks and the Federal Reserve System
10. Conduct of Monetary Policy: Tools, Goals, Strategy, and Tactics
V. Financial Markets
11. The Money Markets
12. The Bond Market
13. The Stock Market
14. The Mortgage Markets
15. The Foreign Exchange Market
16. The International Financial System
VI. The Financial Institutions Industry
17. Banking and the Management of Financial Institutions
18. Financial Regulation
19. Banking Industry: Structure and Competition
20. The Mutual Fund Industry
21. Insurance Companies and Pension Funds
22. Investment Banks, Security Brokers and Dealers, and Venture Capital Firms
VII. The Management of Financial Institutions
23. Risk Management in Financial Institutions
24. Hedging with Financial Derivatives
Chapters on the Web
25. Financial Crises in Emerging Market Economies
26. Savings Associations and Credit Unions
27. Finance Companies
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$53.60 | Add to Cart
These online resources are available at no cost.
Companion Website for Financial Markets and Institutions, 8th Edition
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$116.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-342678-6