An authoritative review of foundational research in criminal justice.
Forty Studies that Changed Criminal Justice, 2e presents a thorough yet concise summary of the major and influential research studies in the field of criminal justice. Knowledge in criminal justice is developed with research, yet introductory textbooks fail to offer more than cursory synopses of the significant empirical studies that established the foundation of the discipline. This book provides a rich understanding of important research published in each of the three general areas of criminal justice: policing, courts, and corrections. More than a just collection of original published articles, the text is a summary of studies that have shaped the criminal justice system.
Table of Contents
PART I Police
Chapter 1 Police Behavior
Chapter 2 Police Discretion
Chapter 3 Police Operations
Chapter 4 The Police Role
Chapter 5 Police Use Of Deadly Force
Chapter 6 Female Police Officers
PART II Courts
Chapter 1 Preconviction Dispositions
Chapter 2 The Guilty Plea Process
Chapter 3 The Jury Trial
Chapter 4 Sentencing
Chapter 5 Wrongful Convictions
PART III Corrections
Chapter 1 Correctional Goals
Chapter 2 Community Corrections
Chapter 3 Inmate Subcultures
Chapter 4 Inmate Violence
Chapter 5 Correctional Officers
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users