In Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design, you’ll learn how to:
* Design and balance game mechanics to create emergent gameplay before you write a single line of code.
* Visualize the internal economy so that you can immediately see what goes on in a complex game.
* Use novel prototyping techniques that let you simulate games and collect vast quantities of gameplay data on the first day of development.
* Apply design patterns for game mechanics—from a library in this book—to improve your game designs.
* Explore the delicate balance between game mechanics and level design to create compelling, long-lasting game experiences.
* Replace fixed, scripted events in your game with dynamic progression systems to give your players a new experience every time they play.
"I've been waiting for a book like this for ten years: packed with game design goodness that tackles the science without undermining the art."
--Richard Bartle, University of Essex, co-author of the first MMORPG
“Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design by Joris Dormans & Ernest Adams formalizes game grammar quite well. Not sure I need to write a next book now!”
-- Raph Koster, author of A Theory of Fun for Game Design.
Table of Contents
Who Is This Book For?
How Is This Book Organized?
Designing Game Mechanics
Rules Define Games
Discrete Mechanics vs. Continuous Mechanics
Mechanics and the Game Design Process
Emergence and Progression
The History of Emergence and Progression
Comparing Emergence and Progression
Games of Emergence
Games of Progression
Emergence and Progression Integration
Complex Systems and the Structure
Gameplay as an Emergent Property of Games
Structural Qualities of Complex Systems
Harnessing Emergence in Games
Elements of Internal Economies
Uses for Internal Economies in Games
The Machinations Framework
Machinations Diagram Basic Elements
Advanced Node Types
More Machinations Concepts
Feedback Structures in Games
Randomness vs. Emergence
Introducing Design Patterns
Machinations Design Pattern Language
Leveraging Patterns for Design
Simulating and Balancing Games
Simulated Play Tests
Playing with Monopoly
From Model to Game
Analyzing Caesar III
Designing Lunar Colony
Integrating Level Design and Mechanics
From Toys to Playgrounds
Missions and Game Spaces
Learning to Play
The Semiotics of Games and Simulations
Multiple Layers of Meaning
Machinations Quick Reference
Design Pattern Library
Playing Style Reinforcement
Getting Started with Machinations
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$59.99Add to Cart