General Chemistry: Atoms First, Second Edition starts from the building blocks of chemistry, the atom, allowing the authors to tell a cohesive story that progresses logically through molecules and compounds to help students intuitively follow complex concepts more logically. This unified thread of ideas helps students build a better foundation and ultimately gain a deeper understanding of chemical concepts. Students can more easily understand the microscopic-to-macroscopic connections between unobservable atoms and the observable behavior of matter in daily life, and are brought immediately into real chemistry–instead of being forced to memorize facts.
Reflecting a true atoms first perspective, the Second Edition features experienced atoms-first authors, incorporates recommendations from a panel of atoms-first experts, and follows historical beliefs in teaching chemistry concepts based and real experimental data first. This approach distinguishes this text in the market based whereby other authors teach theory first, followed by experimental data.
Table of Contents
Chapter 0 – Chemical Tools: Experimentation and Measurement
Chapter 1 – The Structure and Stability of Atoms
Chapter 2 – Periodicity and the Electronic Structure Atomic Structure
Chapter 3 – Atoms and Ionic Bonds
Chapter 4 – Atoms and Covalent Bonds
Chapter 5 – Covalent Bonds and Molecular Structure
Chapter 6 – Chemical Arithmetic: Stoichiometry
Chapter 7 – Reactions in Aqueous Solution
Chapter 8 – Thermochemistry: Chemical Energy
Chapter 9 – Gases: Their Properties and Behavior
Chapter 10 – Liquids, Solids, and Phase Changes
Chapter 11- Solutions and Their Properties
Chapter 12 – The Rates and Mechanisms of Chemical Reactions
Chapter 13 - Chemical Equilibrium,: The Extent of Chemical Reactions
Chapter 14 - Aqueous Equilibria: Acids and Bases
Chapter 15 – Applications of Aqueous Equilibria
Chapter 16 – Thermodynamics: Entropy, Free Energy, and Equilibrium
Chapter 17 – Electrochemistry
Chapter 18 – Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Water
Chapter 19 – The Main-Group Elements
Chapter 20 – Transition Elements and Coordination Chemistry
Chapter 21 – Metals and Solid-State Materials
Chapter 22 – Nuclear Chemistry
Chapter 23 – Organic and Biological Chemistry
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321913326
Includes this title packaged with:
- Laboratory Manual for General Chemistry: Atoms First
John E. McMurry, Robert C. Fay, Stephanie Dillon
- MasteringChemistry with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for General Chemistry: Atoms First, 2nd Edition
John E. McMurry, Robert C. Fay
$418.07 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$113.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90347-1
$113.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81319-0
$68.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-80927-8
$68.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90296-2
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$121.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-91833-8
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$202.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-81303-9