Guide to College Reading is intended to equip students from different backgrounds with the skills they need to handle the diverse reading demands of college courses and guide them in becoming active learners and critical thinkers.
Designed for use in the first level reading course, Guide to College Reading focuses on the key areas of reading comprehension, vocabulary improvement, and textbook reading while addressing the learning characteristics, attitudes, and motivational levels of reading students.
Table of Contents
Part One: Success in College Reading
- Chapter 1: Successful Attitudes for College Learning
- Chapter 2: The Basics of College Textbook Reading
Part Two: Vocabulary: The Key to Meaning
- Chapter 3: Using Context Clues
- Chapter 4: Using Word Parts and Learning new Vocabulary
Part Three: Comprehension Skills and Learning Skills
- Chapter 5: Reading as Thinking
- Chapter 6: Understanding Paragraphs: Topics, Stated Main Ideas, and Implied Main Ideas
- Chapter 7: Understanding Paragraphs: Supporting Details and Transitions
- Chapter 8: Following the Author’s Thought Patterns
- Troubleshooting Guide: Solutions to the Top 10 Reading and Study Problems
Part Four: Textbook Reading Skills
- Chapter 9: Reading Graphic and Visuals
- Chapter 10: Textbook Reading: Organizing and Remembering Information
Part Five: Critical Reading Skills
- Chapter 11: Interpreting the Writer’s Message and Purpose
- Chapter 12: Evaluating: Asking Critical Questions
Part Six: A Fiction Mini Reader
Part Seven: A Contemporary Issues Mini Reader
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Guide to College Reading, CourseSmart eTextbook, 9th Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$40.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-01350-0