All You Need to Succeed with the 2005 NEC: Practical, Illustrated, and Hands-On
This book gives working and student electricians practical guidance for using the new 2005 National Electrical Code effectively--plus all the resources they need to prepare for their Masters or Journeyman's licensing exams. Leading NEC expert and instructor Thomas Harman systematically covers electrical systems design, construction, and installation for virtually any residential, commercial, or industrial environment. Then, simply and concisely, he reviews the basic electrical theory and practice that every Master Electrician must know.
Designed for rapid learning, this book contains extensive problem-solving exercises, examples, illustrations, and tables--all fully updated for the 2005 code. Whenever an NEC rule affects a calculation, the author identifies that rule for easy reference. For the first time, this edition contains four full sample exams designed to closely resemble current Master Electrician's exams. All answers are provided and carefully explained.
This edition discusses
- Wiring design calculations: general calculations, services, feeders, branch circuits, and more
- Calculating wiring designs for residential, commercial, and industrial occupancies
- Rules for installing branch circuits, feeders, services, high-voltage systems, general circuits/equipment, distribution equipment, and utilization equipment
- Special equipment installations, including electric signs, data processing systems, and swimming pools
- Special occupancies: hazardous locations, commercial garages, and gasoline dispensing or service stations
- Emergency, standby, and communications systems
- General electric theory: DC, AC, equipment, loads, conductors, transformers, and motors
Table of Contents
The Master Electrician and the Master Electrician's Examination
How to Use This Guide
The National Electrical Code
State and Local Codes and Ordinances
I. WIRING DESIGN CALCULATIONS.
2. Services, Feeders, and Branch Circuits.
The Electrical System
Other Design Considerations--Temperature Ratings
3. General Design Calculations.
Branch-Circuit Load Calculations
Feeder or Service Calculations
4. Calculations for Dwelling Type Occupancies.
One-Family Dwellings and Individual Dwelling Units
Multifamily Dwelling Calculations
Special Multifamily Dwelling Problems
5. Electrical Circuit Design for Commercial and Industrial Occupancies.
Typical Commercial Occupancy Calculations
Feeder and Service Design for Other Commercial Occupancies
Special Occupancies and Equipment
II. GENERAL RULES FOR INSTALLATIONS.
6. Installation Rules for Specific Circuits or Systems.
Installation of Branch Circuits
Installation Rules for Feeders
Installation Rules for Services
Systems Operating at Over 600 Volts
Miscellaneous Circuits and Systems
7. Installation of General Circuits and Equipment.
Use of Conductors in Circuits
Installation and Protection of Conductors
Wiring Methods and Techniques
Equipment Grounding and Bonding
Equipment and Devices
8. Installation Rules for Distribution Equipment.
Switchboards and Panelboards
Installation Rules for Capacitors and Other Distribution Equipment
9. Installation of Utilization Equipment.
Fixed Electric Space-Heating Equipment
Miscellaneous Utilization Equipment
10. Special Equipment.
Information Technology Equipment (Data-Processing Systems)
Miscellaneous Special Equipment
11. Special Occupancies.
Hazardous (Classified) Locations
Specific Class I Locations
Other Special Occupancies
12. Special Conditions and Communications Circuits.
Emergency and Standby Systems
Remote-Control, Signaling, and Power-Limited Circuits
Other Special Conditions
Circuits and Equipment Operating at Over 600 Volts
III. General Electrical Theory.
13. Review of Electrical Theory.
Equipment in AC Circuits
IV. Final Examinations.
Final Examination No. 1
Final Examination No. 2
Final Examination No. 3
Final Examination No. 4
A. Important Formulas.
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$51.99Add to Cart