This important new book considers health and safety management as an equal partner to other strategic business risks. Concepts of risk and models of risk management supply the context for the management of health and safety in a range of sectors. By applying the principles of business risk management to health and safety, the authors develop crucial best practice approaches that are applicable on a global platform, irrespective of local legislation.
- The underlying principles of health and safety management, such as risk management, risk perception, risk communication, behaviour, human error, economics and cost benefit analysis is explored.
- Using international and national approaches, ¿best practice¿ techniques are presented to help managers develop and implement health and safety management systems in their own organisations.
- The roles of risk assessment, risk control, training, performance measurement, auditing, benchmarking and continuous improvement in health and safety management are analysed to provide an integrated and effective management system.
- Examples are drawn from a range of industrial, commercial and public sector organisations.
- Contemporary views on the social responsibilities of both the organisation and the individual to manage health and safety are featured in order to stimulate further debate and look to the future direction of health and safety management.
Dr Colin Fuller and Dr Luise Vassie present the MSc in Health and Safety Management at the University of Leicester.
Table of Contents
PrefacePART I: PRINCIPLES1. The concept of risk2. Risk management3. Personality, behaviour and human error4. Risk perception5. Risk communication6. Economic issues7. Cost-benefit analysis8. Managing health and Safety RisksPART II: BEST PRACTICE9. Regulatory models for managing health and safety 10. Models for managing health and safety risks at the organisational level11. Risk assessment12. Risk control13. Training and competence14. Performance measurement15. Auditing, benchmarking and continuous improvement16. Responsibility and accountability for health and safetyIndex
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.