Health: Making Choices for Life distinguishes itself by speaking the language of today’s students, helping them to employ real behavior change and apply topics to their own lives. Built from the ground up with student-generated content and incorporating technology that students use, this is the health book that students can most relate to–the one that inspires them to choose a healthy lifestyle.
The student-savvy approach is demonstrated in many different ways throughout the text and is built on an ultra-modern, magazine-style design with appealing photos and visuals that encourage students to read. Additionally, student stories in both the text and online provide real-life examples of important health issues. To further connect students with health topics through technology, videos, links to websites, and podcasts are woven throughout the text in the Health Online feature. Additionally, Web 2.0 technologies (such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube) encourage students to become part of an online community. Unique, practical tools like the Choosing to Change Worksheets walk students through the steps of behavior change and help them make informed decisions about their lifestyle choices. Lastly, the authors employ a conversational and empowering writing style that speaks directly to the student while maintaining quality content and excellent academic rigor.
Table of Contents
I. MAKING HEALTHY CHOICES
1. Health in the 21st Century: New Challenges, New Choices
II. MAINTAINING MIND-BODY HEALTH
2. Psychosocial Health: Maintaining the Mind and Spirit
3. Stress Management: Coping with College Life
4. Sleep: Repairing Your Body, Recharging Your Mind
III. EATING RIGHT, STAYING FIT
5. Nutrition: Food for Life
6. Physical Activity: For Fitness, Health, and Fun
7. Body Image, Body Weight: Achieving a Healthy Balance
IV. AVOIDING ABUSE AND ADDICTION
8. Compulsive Behaviors and Psychoactive Drugs: Understanding Addiction
9. Alcohol: Choices and Challenges
10. Tobacco: A Clear and Present Danger
V. REDUCING YOUR RISK OF DISEASE
11. Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease: Reducing Your Risk
12. Cancer: Take-Charge Choices
13. Immunity and Infection: Breaking the Chain
VI. BUILDING HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS
14. Relationships: Communication, Conflict, and Commitment
15. Sexuality: Your Body, Your Choices
16. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Safeguard your Sexual Health
17. Contraception: Avoiding Unintended Pregnancy
18. Choosing Parenthood: Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Challenge of Infertility
VII. PRESERVING YOUR HEALTH
19. Consumer Health: Options in Health Care
20. Personal Safety: Caution Ahead
21. Environmental Health: Protecting Yourself and Your World
22. Navigating Change: The Gifts and Challenges of Aging
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Health: Making Choices for Life, CourseSmart eTextbook
Format: Safari Book
$43.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-89769-5