Table of Contents
I. INTRODUCTION TO BASIC CONCEPTS AND METHODS.
1. The Field of Health Psychology.
2. The Psychophysiological Basis of Health and Illness.
3. The Social and Cultural Basis of Health and Illness.
II. PSYCHOLOGICAL CONTRIBUTORS TO AND TREATMENTS OF ILLNESS.
4. Belief, Pain, and Healing.
5. Stress and Illness.
6. Personality and Disease.
7. Quality of Life and the Self-Healing Personality.
8. Adaptation to Chronic Illness.
9. Dying, Death, and Grief.
III. HEALTH PROMOTION, DISEASE PREVENTION, AND THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.
10. Tobacco, Alcohol, and Illegal Drug Abuse.
11. Nutrition, Exercise, and Prophylaxis.
12. Patient Cooperation (Adherence).
13. Communication between Patients and Practitioners.
14. Health Care Professionals and Hospitals.
IV. SOCIETY, UTILIZATION, AND THE FUTURE.
15. Medical Ethics and Utilization Issues.