Integrated Arithmetic and Basic Algebra, Fifth Edition, integrates arithmetic and algebra to allow students to see the big picture of math. Rather than separating these two subjects, this text helps students recognize algebra as a natural extension of arithmetic. As a result, students see how concepts are interrelated and are better prepared for future courses.
Table of Contents
R. Basic Ideas
R.1 Reading and Writing Numerals
R.2 Addition and Subtraction of Whole Numbers
R.3 Multiplication and Division of Whole Numbers
R.4 A Brief Introduction to Fractions
R.5 Addition and Subtraction of Decimal Numerals
R.6 Multiplication and Division of Decimal Numerals
R.7 Linear Measurement in the American and Metric Systems
1. Adding and Subtracting Integers and Polynomials
1.1 Variables, Exponents, and Order of Operations
1.2 Perimeters of Geometric Figures
1.3 Areas of Geometric Figures
1.4 Volumes and Surface Areas of Geometric Figures
1.5 Introduction to Integers
1.6 Addition of Integers
1.7 Subtraction of Integers and Combining Like Terms
1.8 Polynomial Definitions and Combining Polynomials
2. Laws of Exponents, Products and Quotients of Integers and Polynomials
2.1 Multiplication of Integers
2.2 Multiplication Laws of Exponents
2.3 Products of Polynomials
2.4 Special Products
2.5 Division of Integers and Order of Operations with Integers
2.6 Quotient Rule and Integer Exponents
2.7 Power Rule for Quotients and Using Combined Laws of Exponents
2.8 Division of Polynomials by Monomials
2.9 An Application of Exponents: Scientific Notation
3. Linear Equations and Inequalities
3.1 Addition Property of Equality
3.2 Multiplication Property of Equality
3.3 Combining Properties in Solving Linear Equations
3.4 Using and Solving Formulas
3.5 General, Consecutive Integer, and Distance Application Problems
3.6 Money, Investment, and Mixture Application Problems
3.7 Geometric Application Problems
3.8 Solving Linear Inequalities
4. Graphing Linear Equations and Inequalities
4.1 Reading Graphs and the Cartesian Coordinate System
4.2 Graphing Linear Equations with Two Variables
4.5 Graphing Linear Equations by Using Intercepts
4.4 Slope of a Line
4.5 Slope-Intercept Form of a Line
4.6 Point-Slope Form of a Line
4.7 Graphing Linear Inequalities with Two Variables
4.8 Relations and Functions
5. Factors, Divisors, and Factoring
5.1 Prime Factorization and Greatest Common Factor
5.2 Factoring Polynomials with Common Factors and by Grouping
5.3 Factoring General Trinomials with Leading Coefficients of One
5.4 Factoring General Trinomials with Leading Coefficients Other than One
5.5 Factoring Binomials
5.6 Factoring Perfect Square Trinomials
5.7 Mixed Factoring
5.8 Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring
6. Multiplication and Division of Rational Numbers and Expressions
6.1 Reducing Rational Numbers and Rational Expressions
6.2 Further Reduction of Rational Expressions
6.3 Multiplication of Rational Numbers and Expressions
6.4 Further Multiplication of Rational Expressions
6.5 Division of Rational Numbers and Expressions
6.6 Division of Polynomials (Long Division)
7. Addition and Subtraction of Rational Numbers and Expressions
7.1 Addition and Subtraction of Rational Numbers and Expressions with Like Denominators
7.2 Least Common Multiple and Equivalent Rational Expressions
7.3 The Least Common Denominator of Fractions and Rational Expressions
7.4 Addition and Subtraction of Rational Numbers and Expressions with Unlike Denominators
7.5 Complex Fractions
7.6 Solving Equations Containing Rational Numbers and Expressions
7.7 Applications with Rational Expressions
8. Ratios, Percents, and Applications
8.1 Ratios and Rates
8.4 Applications of Percent
8.5 Further Applications of Percent
9. Systems of Linear Equations
9.1 Defining Linear Systems and Solving by Graphing
9.2 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Using Elimination by Addition
9.3 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Using Substitution
9.4 Solving Application Problems by Using Systems of Equations
9.5 Systems of Linear Inequalities
10. Roots and Radicals
10.1 Defining and Finding Roots
10.2 Simplifying Radicals
10.3 Products and Quotients of Radicals
10.4 Addition, Subtraction, and Mixed Operations with Radicals
10.5 Rationalizing the Denominator
10.6 Solving Equations with Radicals
10.7 Pythagorean Theorem
11. Solving Quadratic Equations
11.1 Solving Incomplete Quadratic Equations
11.2 Solving Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square
11.3 Solving Quadratic Equations by the Quadratic Formula
11.4 Quadratic Equations with Complex Solutions
11.5 Applications Involving Quadratic Equations
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$36.80 | Add to Cart
$44.20 | Add to Cart
$48.60 | Add to Cart
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321781925
Includes this title packaged with:
- MathXL -- Valuepack Access Card (12-month access), 2nd Edition
. . Pearson Education
$231.47 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$99.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-76050-0
$85.80 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-78020-1
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$88.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-83140-8
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$134.48 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90448-5
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$148.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75979-5