The Bittinger Concepts and Applications Program delivers proven pedagogy, guiding students from skills-based math to the concepts-oriented math required for college courses.
Table of Contents
1. Algebra and Problem Solving
1.1 Some Basics of Algebra
1.2 Operations and Properties of Real Numbers
1.3 Solving Equations
1.4 Introduction to Problem Solving
1.5 Formulas, Models, and Geometry
1.6 Properties of Exponents
1.7 Scientific Notation
2. Graphs, Functions, and Linear Equations
2.3 Linear Functions: Slope, Graphs, and Models
2.4 Another Look at Linear Graphs
2.5 Equations of Lines and Modeling
2.6 The Algebra of Functions
3. Systems of Linear Equations and Problem Solving
3.1 Systems of Equations in Two Variables
3.2 Solving by Substitution or Elimination
3.3 Solving Applications: Systems of Two Equations
3.4 Systems of Equations in Three Variables
3.5 Solving Applications: Systems of Three Equations
3.6 Elimination Using Matrices
3.7 Determinants and Cramer’s Rule
3.8 Business and Economics Applications
4. Inequalities and Problem Solving
4.1 Inequalities and Applications
4.2 Intersections, Unions, and Compound Inequalities
4.3 Absolute-Value Equations and Inequalities
4.4 Inequalities in Two Variables
4.5 Applications Using Linear Programming
5. Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
5.1 Introduction to Polynomials and Polynomial Functions
5.2 Multiplication of Polynomials
5.3 Common Factors and Factoring by Grouping
5.4 Factoring Trinomials
5.5 Factoring Perfect-Square Trinomials and Differences of Squares
5.6 Factoring Sums or Differences of Cubes
5.7 Factoring: A General Strategy
5.8 Applications of Polynomial Equations
6. Rational Expressions, Equations, and Functions
6.1 Rational Expressions and Functions: Multiplying and Dividing
6.2 Rational Expressions and Functions: Adding and Subtracting
6.3 Complex Rational Expressions
6.4 Rational Equations
6.5 Solving Applications Using Rational Equations
6.6 Division of Polynomials
6.7 Synthetic Division and the Remainder Theorem
6.8 Formulas, Applications, and Variation
7. Exponents and Radicals
7.1 Radical Expressions and Functions
7.2 Rational Numbers as Exponents
7.3 Multiplying Radical Expressions
7.4 Dividing Radical Expressions
7.5 Expressions Containing Several Radical Terms
7.6 Solving Radical Equations
7.7 The Distance Formula, the Midpoint Formula, and Other Applications
7.8 The Complex Numbers
8. Quadratic Functions and Equations
8.1 Quadratic Equations
8.2 The Quadratic Formula
8.3 Studying Solutions of Quadratic Equations
8.4 Applications Involving Quadratic Equations
8.5 Equations Reducible to Quadratic
8.6 Quadratic Functions and Their Graphs
8.7 More About Graphing Quadratic Functions
8.8 Problem Solving and Quadratic Functions
8.9 Polynomial Inequalities and Rational Inequalities
9. Exponential Functions and Logarithmic Functions
9.1 Composite Functions and Inverse Functions
9.2 Exponential Functions
9.3 Logarithmic Functions
9.4 Properties of Logarithmic Functions
9.5 Common Logarithms and Natural Logarithms
9.6 Solving Exponential Equations and Logarithmic Equations
9.7 Applications of Exponential Functions and Logarithmic Functions
10. Conic Sections
10.1 Conic Sections: Parabolas and Circles
10.2 Conic Sections: Ellipses
10.3 Conic Sections: Hyperbolas
10.4 Nonlinear Systems of Equations
11. Sequences, Series, and the Binomial Theorem
11.1 Sequences and Series
11.2 Arithmetic Sequences and Series
11.3 Geometric Sequences and Series11.4 The Binomial Theorem
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$35.20 | Add to Cart
$44.20 | Add to Cart
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321939227
Includes this title packaged with:
- MathXL Valuepack Access Card (6-months)
. . Pearson Education
$246.40 | Add to Cart
Package ISBN-13: 9780321941718
Includes this title packaged with:
- Student's Solutions Manual for Intermediate Algebra: Concepts & Application, 9th Edition
Marvin L. Bittinger, David J. Ellenbogen, Barbara L. Johnson
- MyMathLab -- Valuepack Access Card, 6th Edition
. . Pearson Education
$249.73 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$99.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84841-3
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84840-6
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$92.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-87793-2
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$134.48 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92214-4
$168.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90117-0
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$154.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84838-3