The Akst/Bragg series’ success is built around clear and concise writing, a side-by-side “teach by example” approach, and integrated applications throughout that help students achieve a conceptual understanding. The user-friendly design offers a distinctive side-by-side format that pairs examples and their solutions with corresponding practice exercises. Students understand from the very beginning that doing math is an essential part of learning it. Motivational, real-world applications demonstrate how integral mathematical understanding is to a variety of disciplines, careers, and everyday situations.
Table of Contents
1. Algebra Basics
1.1 Introduction to Real Numbers
1.2 Operations with Real Numbers
1.3 Properties of Real Numbers
1.4 Laws of Exponents and Scientific Notation
1.5 Algebraic Expressions: Translating, Evaluating, and Simplifying
2. Linear Equations and Inequalities
2.1 Solving Linear Equations
2.2 Solving Literal Equations and Formulas
2.3 Solving Linear Inequalities
2.4 Solving Compound Inequalities
2.5 Solving Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities
3. Graphs, Linear Equations and Inequalities, and Functions
3.1 The Rectangular Coordinate System
3.3 Graphing Linear Equations
3.4 More on Graphing Linear Equations
3.5 Graphing Linear Inequalities
3.6 Introduction to Functions
4. Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
4.1 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing
4.2 Solving Systems of Linear Equations Algebraically
4.3 Solving Systems of Linear Equations in Three Variables
4.4 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Using Matrices
4.5 Solving Systems of Linear Inequalities
5.1 Addition and Subtraction of Polynomials
5.2 Multiplication of Polynomials
5.3 Division of Polynomials
5.4 The Greatest Common Factor and Factoring by Grouping
5.5 Factoring Trinomials
5.6 Special Factoring
5.7 Solving Quadratic Equations by Factoring
6. Rational Expressions and Equations
6.1 Multiplication and Division of Rational Expressions
6.2 Addition and Subtraction of Rational Expressions
6.3 Complex Rational Expressions
6.4 Solving Rational Equations
7. Radical Expressions and Equations
7.1 Radical Expressions and Rational Exponents
7.2 Simplifying Radical Expressions
7.3 Addition and Subtraction of Radical Expressions
7.4 Multiplication and Division of Radical Expressions
7.5 Solving Radical Equations
7.6 Complex Numbers
8. Quadratic Equations, Functions, and Inequalities
8.1 Solving Quadratic Equations: The Square Root Property of Equality; Completing the Square
8.2 Solving Quadratic Equations: The Quadratic Formula
8.3 More on Quadratic Equations
8.4 Graphing Quadratic Functions
8.5 Solving Quadratic and Rational Inequalities
9. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
9.1 The Algebra of Functions and Inverse Functions
9.2 Exponential Functions
9.3 Logarithmic Functions
9.4 Properties of Logarithms
9.5 Common Logarithms, Natural Logarithms, and Change of Base
9.6 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
10. Conic Sections
10.1 Introduction to Conics; The Parabola
10.2 The Circle
10.3 The Ellipse and the Hyperbola
10.4 Solving Nonlinear Systems of Equations
10.5 Solving Nonlinear Inequalities and Nonlinear Systems of Inequalities
A.1 Table of Symbols
A.2 Introduction to Graphing Calculators
A.3 Determinants and Cramer’s Rule
A.4 Synthetic Division
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$35.20 | Add to Cart
$36.80 | Add to Cart
$44.20 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$99.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75974-0
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-74672-6
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$88.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84938-0
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$134.48 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-89513-4
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$148.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75718-0