NOTE: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyProgrammingLab does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MyProgrammingLab search for ISBN-10: 0133813487 /ISBN-13: 9780133813487. That package includes ISBN-10: 0133592200/ISBN-13: 9780133592207 and ISBN-10: 0133592685 /ISBN-13:9780133592689 .
MyProgrammingLab should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
This text is intended for a 1-semester CS1 course sequence. The Brief Version contains the first 18 chapters of the Comprehensive Version. The first 13 chapters are appropriate for preparing the AP Computer Science exam. Coverage of Java and programming make this a useful reference for beginning programmers and IT professionals.
Daniel Liang teaches concepts of problem-solving and object-oriented programming using a fundamentals-first approach. Beginning programmers learn critical problem-solving techniques then move on to grasp the key concepts of object-oriented, GUI programming, advanced GUI and Web programming using Java. Liang approaches Java GUI programming using JavaFX, not only because JavaFX is much simpler for new Java programmers to learn and use but because it has replaced Swing as the new GUI tool for developing cross-platform-rich Internet applications on desktop computers, on hand-held devices, and on the Web. Additionally, for instructors, JavaFXprovides a better teaching tool for demonstrating object-oriented programming.
Teaching and Learning Experience
To provide a better teaching and learning experience, for both instructors and students, this program offers:
- Fundamentals-First Approach: Basic programming concepts are introduced on control statements, loops, functions, and arrays before object-oriented programming is discussed.
- Problem-Driven Motivation: The examples and exercises throughout the book emphasize problem solving and foster the concept of developing reusable components and using them to create practical projects.
- A Superior Pedagogical Design that Fosters Student Interest: Key concepts are reinforced with objectives lists, introduction and chapter overviews, easy-to-follow examples, chapter summaries, review questions, programming exercises, and interactive self-tests.
- The Most Extensive Instructor and Student Support Package Available: The author maintains a website at www.pearsonhighered.com/liang that includes multiple interactive resources.
Table of Contents
Chapter 2 Elementary Programming
Chapter 3 Selections
Chapter 4 Mathematical Functions, Characters, and Strings
Chapter 5 Loops
Chapter 6 Methods
Chapter 7 Single-Dimensional Arrays
Chapter 8 Multidimensional Arrays
Chapter 9 Objects and Classes
Chapter 10 Object-Oriented Thinking
Chapter 11 Inheritance and Polymorphism
Chapter 12 Exception Handling and Text I/O
Chapter 13 Abstract Classes and Interfaces
Chapter 14 JavaFX Basics
Chapter 15 Event-Driven Programming and Animations
Chapter 16 JavaFX UI Controls and Multimedia
Chapter 17 Binary I/O
Chapter 18 Recursion
Appendix A Java Keywords
Appendix B The ASCII Character Set
Appendix C Operator Precedence Chart
Appendix D Java Modifiers
Appendix E Special Floating-Point Values
Appendix F Number Systems
Appendix G Bitwise Operations
Appendix H Regular Expressions
Appendix I Enumerated Types
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780133946277
Includes this title packaged with:
- Student Value Edition for Intro to Java Programming, Brief Version, 10th Edition
Y. Daniel Liang
- MyProgrammingLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card -- for Intro to Java Programming, Brief Version, 10th Edition
Y. Daniel Liang
$249.93 $239.31 | Add to Cart
$24.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-359227-6
$42.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-359256-6
$92.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-359263-4
Digital + Print
$106.40 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-359253-5
$156.40 $149.75 |
Free Ground Shipping.