Introduction to Animal Science: Global, Biological, Social, and Industry Perspectives, Fifth Edition,features the most comprehensive, up-to-date coverage of the traditional disciplines that are so essential to a solid foundation in Animal Science: nutrition, digestion, feeds, genetics, reproduction, disease, and animal behavior. The text's comprehensive, non-traditional approach introduces the discipline as an ever-changing, integral part of every aspect of human existence. Author W. Stephen Damron not only presents thorough coverage of the major species and their respective concerns, he challenges you to consider the many pressing interests relevant to Animal Science as it influences and is influenced by society today.
Table of Contents
PART ONE The Place of Animals and Animal Science in the Lives of Humans
1. Introduction to the Animal Sciences
2. The Value of Animals to Humanity
3. Factors Affecting World Agricultural Structure
4. Worldwide Systems of Agricultural Production
PART TWO The Biological Sciences of Animal Science
5. Introduction to Nutrition
6. The Gastrointestinal Tract and Nutrition
7. Feedstuffs Classification
9. Animal Breeding
10. Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
11. Animal Reproduction
13. Animal Behavior
14. Animal Health
PART THREE The Animal Industries
15. Market Coordination in the Beef, Pork, and Poultry Industries
16. Beef Cattle
17. Dairy Cattle
20. Sheep and Goats
23. Pet and Companion Animals
PART FOUR Animals and Society
26. Careers and Career Preparation in the Animal Sciences
27. Food Safety and Consumer Concerns
28. Animal Welfare and Animal Rights
29. Animals in Sustainable Agriculture
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$86.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-306768-2
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$144.20 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-262415-2